Never seen this before...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good deal if it measure up..

35 yrs ago when we bought the house and started burning I uses to buy pickup loads of 2x4 oak ends from a guy that worked at a saw mill. He'd park his truck at the the end of the line and collect the pieces when they cut the oak to 8 ft lengths. Mostly short pieces, but I did find some pieces long enough to build a tail gate for the Willys.

Because of the shape they will pack tight and probably yield more wood per cord.

Downside is that there is no drying between flat surfaces.

If I bought it I'd dump it in a pile until I use it.

Maybe demolition leftovers. Dunage. My fathers business used this stuff to "crate" really heavy machinery for shipping. Framing the machines in Oak crating. If thats what this is.
Like Millwrights union stuff.
If its really oak, why not.
At 195.00 hes not being shy with his price. Only good if its dry. Like as in kiln dried.

I'd go get it. That stuff stacks so tightly it'd be the densest cord you'll ever find.

There's going to be way more than a cord of wood in each of his cords, so this may be an exceptional deal. Most measures of cord weight are based on an assumed 85 cubic feet of wood per stacked cord. His stacked cords are going to have much closer to the full 128 cubic feet of wood, due to the higher stacking density of perfect 4" x 4" square splits.

Looks like List Logistics - probably drop offs from palletizing.
http://listlogistics.com/

Jags nailed it. Wood formerly used for palletizing/shipping. Seller may have somewhat more than a cord, (I spoke with his wife). Looks like it would be very nice stove fuel.

I'd have to rent a truck & enroll an offspring or two to load/unload this weekend. With #2 offspring coming home from college on Saturday, snow, and upcoming business trip, it ain't happening for me. And I don't *need* the wood right now (Can I say that here?). But it sure is purty and would stack so nicely!

If it's still around next weekend, I might give it a shot. Would be nice to bank that oak...and maybe a shame to bank it outside!

Hmm... I wonder how clean we can assume the wood to be from chemicals (paint, preservatives, etc)... i.e. clean enough for a cat :)

If you get it, be careful when stacking. Don't stack so tight that you don't get good air circulation.

Rent a truck if you have to. It will pay for itself with that haul. Nice find.

There was a listing on CL this fall for similar stuff in my area, New London CT, near the cargo piers. It was 3x4 and 4x4 kiln heated / treated lumber from cargo ships. They were selling it in 8-10 foot bundles like slab wood.

A co worker of mine has a neighbor who burns this stuff all winter, because he gets the bundles for free from his buddy / relative that works at the piers.

I'd like to get some stuff like that, I'd just stack it criss-crossed to let air through

Looks like dunnage from railroad shipping. Billerica has/had a big rail yard. We used to get lots of it when unloading equipment. Much of it was Ironwood and elm and oak, excellent firewood, but save some as cribbing for jacking and masonry projects!

Yeah, careful with anything intended as railroad ties, because it's almost certainly treated wood. The non-cat stove has no trouble with most treated wood, but some chemically treated woods will kill your cat.

I got a bunch, not quite a cord, of 4x6's last year that turned out to be dried kiln dried maple the had been used to prop the walls of a sewer construction project. The guy that gave them to me thought they were oak and by their weight I did too, that is until I split one. He also told me that they were not treated with anything because they were being used in a tunnel project; risk of fire and air contamination if treated.I found one, about 5 feet in length that was beautifully curly from end to end. I addressed it and mailed it to my friend who is the master gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg. I can't wait to see what he does with it! I've not burned any yet because, while not treated, they do have cement dust on the surface and I'm unsure what problems that may have in a cat stove.

Yeah, careful with anything intended as railroad ties, because it's almost certainly treated wood. The non-cat stove has no trouble with most treated wood, but some chemically treated woods will kill your cat.

way to small for railroad ties, ties are 7"x9"

Status
Not open for further replies.