New 1000 HP corvette too powerful for the frame.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I actually helped a buddy build up a 1990 Miata with custom turbocharger and custom injection. That thing was a heck of a lot of fun, he had it lowered to where it felt like the door handles were knee height. It rusted mighty young, though.
Yeah they do rust. But for the money I think they are about the most fun per dollar.

I have been tempted for a couple of years to build a Miata. The Acura TSX engine conversion is pretty tempting. I have a Bronco in pieces that needs to be reassembled and sorted out then I have more than a few Unimog projects before I am ready for another project. The nice thing with Miata is it doesnt take over garage space like a large vehicle.

Reactions: bholler
I have been tempted for a couple of years to build a Miata. The Acura TSX engine conversion is pretty tempting. I have a Bronco in pieces that needs to be reassembled and sorted out then I have more than a few Unimog projects before I am ready for another project. The nice thing with Miata is it doesnt take over garage space like a large vehicle.
My bronco is on the road. It only needs a little rustrepair the motor re gasketed etc. It isn't bad at all. I just need to get started

52095dc63058d46acd715e589b801995.jpg Well the test driving has begun ,yesterday we tested a 2010 Black Camaro 2SS 426HP 6 Sp manual,all leather Int. . Mint condition but a little high priced for the year . Started at 24600 came down to 21600 but im thinking this is worth closer to 17 -18. Very low mileage 14300 ,looks like it was garage kept. One previous owner. Wife loved it but i convinced her to look at new ones and newer ones. The car pictured is similar but the one we tested had nicer wheels. Meanwhile ill be checking out the new Silverados,thats my mid life crisis ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: firefighterjake
I don't have a fabulous car, it's a base 2017 Mini 4-door, but this year I got 4 months of unlimited car washes. I take full advantage of it, hoping to ward off rust. It'll probably get the paint rubbed off instead, lol.

I have driven a fair number of sports cars on the track and I really don't like their driving dynamics. Yes they can be very fast but it takes allot more work to drive them fast and it isn't nearly as much fun. Now apparently the awd ones are very different but to get that you are talking allot more money.

I didn't realize you were into cars. Lucky you to drive a 911 on the track! My only track time was at a tiny track in SC for an autocross in my mostly stock 95 Miata.

I don't have a fabulous car, it's a base 2017 Mini 4-door, but this year I got 4 months of unlimited car washes. I take full advantage of it, hoping to ward off rust. It'll probably get the paint rubbed off instead, lol.
Minis are great cars with really awesome driving dynamics. Honestly, even after having a Challenger with over 500 HP, I still find cars like Minis, Miatas, Fiat 500's, etc to be much more enjoyable.

Okay... that's when I'm headed over to ches bholler for a beer and some entertainment. Screw the Miata! I vote we start with the Drag Pak, they're pure evil.

I used to have a 2009 Challenger SRT 8 six speed with 420 RWHP with a lot of time and parts on it that I sold and then bought a Miata. I miss that Challenger, and it was fun, but Miatas are just awesome. Drag racing is fun, but not something I would spend the time or money on to dedicate a car to it. Now that I'm not living anywhere with nice smooth pavement, I'll build the Miata into a rally car when I get it up here.

I would gladly buy an m3 though and I think they have a worse yuppie image lol. But they are tons of fun to throw around.

I've been lucky enough to drive a few different M cars. A friend of mine had a Z4M Roadster that was a blast, especially with his aftermarket header and exhaust. I've snagged some seat time in a six speed V8 M3 Coupe, and what an excellent pairing of engine and chassis, but I still prefer the M Roasters with the old S54 straight six. One of my old autocross buddies bought a beat old E36 M3 sedan with another guy for like $1,500. That car was the fastest stock car I've ever driven, since nobody cares about it at all. They gutted it and drove around Fort Bragg with Hoosier DOT racing slicks. BMW can make some really great cars, but yeah, their image is not so great. I definitely wouldn't own one up here for road use!

View attachment 242369 Well the test driving has begun ,yesterday we tested a 2010 Black Camaro 2SS 426HP 6 Sp manual,all leather Int. . Mint condition but a little high priced for the year . Started at 24600 came down to 21600 but im thinking this is worth closer to 17 -18. Very low mileage 14300 ,looks like it was garage kept. One previous owner. Wife loved it but i convinced her to look at new ones and newer ones. The car pictured is similar but the one we tested had nicer wheels. Meanwhile ill be checking out the new Silverados,thats my mid life crisis ride.
A well kept, low mileage car is often worth more than book. Good maintenance and cleaning help extend the lifetime of the vehicle.

A well kept, low mileage car is often worth more than book. Good maintenance and cleaning help extend the lifetime of the vehicle.
I agree, but how much over book can be a gamble as the car continues to depreciate. She can buy a brand new 2019 6cy with 330 HP for roughly the same money with a warranty. So we will drive one of those to compare it to the SS . They have come a long way tech wise in 9 yrs.

I lucked out with my Syclone. GM came out with the Typhoon and dealers ends up with lot of Syclones. I picked up mine on closeout and drove if for four years. I sold it for $1000 bucks less than I paid for it. Wish I could work that deal out reliably

Reactions: SpaceBus
I lucked out with my Syclone. GM came out with the Typhoon and dealers ends up with lot of Syclones. I picked up mine on closeout and drove if for four years. I sold it for $1000 bucks less than I paid for it. Wish I could work that deal out reliably
Sy/tys are really cool and super niche, so that's no surprise.

Great rigs unless someone chipped them. I got a call a year later from someone who bought it from a dealer. It had been chipped at some point after I sold it and the engine has self destructed somewhere along I95.

Great rigs unless someone chipped them. I got a call a year later from someone who bought it from a dealer. It had been chipped at some point after I sold it and the engine has self destructed somewhere along I95.

Yeah, that engine architecture did not lend itself to performance. The only thing it had going for it was a stout block. Cramming it full of boost was just asking for heat and detonation issues, especially with clueless folks messing with engine calibration.

I agree, but how much over book can be a gamble as the car continues to depreciate. She can buy a brand new 2019 6cy with 330 HP for roughly the same money with a warranty. So we will drive one of those to compare it to the SS . They have come a long way tech wise in 9 yrs.

They have, but I’m not ready to accept a v6 in any pony car or muscle car, just yet. how’d we get from 1000 hp to 330? [emoji14]

They have, but I’m not ready to accept a v6 in any pony car or muscle car, just yet. how’d we get from 1000 hp to 330? [emoji14]
It will be up to the wife what she ends up with. Her car. She liked her 2002 Pontiac Firebird. That was a V6 with 230 HP manual shift and it was fast. Add 100 HP and a lighter car, who knows , ill probably drive one tomorrow so ill give an update. The new v6s have about the same HP as my 70s corvette 350 did. She is replacing her mini van so everything is an upgrade .Im trying to get her to take her time and get what she wants as she may have it awhile. All SS come with 8cl 6.2 with about 426HP or supercharged with 650ish. For me i want an 8 in my next truck ,with cyl deactivation, no reason to compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Well, you know which one I’d be buying! [emoji14]

650 hp in that chassis is getting into the, “don’t turn it loose in untrained hands,” territory, but 426 hp is totally manageable, really just a pleasure to drive. My current sedan is 485 hp, and while no race car, it is just sublime on the road.

If my wife were shopping pony cars, which will probably never happen, I’d be lobbying hard for the 426 hp platform. Can you sell her on the nicer interior of the higher model? [emoji1]

Well, you know which one I’d be buying! [emoji14]
, I’d be lobbying hard for the 426 hp platform. Can you sell her on the nicer interior of the higher model? [emoji1]
She does like all that leather. The SS package includes a lot more than a big engine. You may be shocked to learn this car now comes with a 4CY engine, if a 6Cy is hard to wrap your head around a 4cy is just unthinkable. I was dissapointed to learn that the 100HP extra between the 6cy
and the 6,2 V8 only shaves a half second off the Zero to 60 time. So the 6 is no slouch but ill know more after driving one today. At this point it looks like she is sticking with the SS platform hell or high water.:eek:

Last edited:
I find I'm too good of a driver and get myself into trouble in fast cars and bikes, and I've had a few. I got pulled over by a cop in my 03 Mach 1 doing 50 in 35 MPH twisty area. He let me off with a warning, but if I were in my Miata he probably wouldn't have even bothered, because I would have been going much faster. My worst ticket was on a bike, but that's a whole different category of speed. Anything less than 7 seconds 0-60 is more than fast enough for surface streets. Cars are just so fast now.

Anything less than 7 seconds 0-60 is more than fast enough for surface streets. Cars are just so fast now.
The newV6 camaro is Mid 5s something seconds Zero to 60. The 6.2L 8cy is 4.9 to 5.

The newV6 camaro is Mid 5s something seconds Zero to 60. The 6.2L 8cy is 4.9 to 5.
That's my point, cars are just so fast. My Mazdaspeed 3 was about 5.6 seconds 0-60, and that's FWD turbo four cylinder, albeit with a nice limited slip differential. That wasn't an expensive car when it was new, and they are very cheap used. I think I paid $26,000 for a 2010 right off the showroom floor in December 2009. I long ago sold that car, but the market is lousy with fast cars right now. Even the Honda Accord is pretty stout these days. Certainly RWD is more rewarding in the handling and chassis department, but even still a mid level BMW 3 series with the six cylinder turbo can run a 12 second 1/4 mile these days and return over 30 MPG highway. A friend and I drove from Bowling Green Kentucky to Fort Bragg NC on one tank of fuel... That car was amazing.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Her budget is going up . Started at 20k Now its 34k. Thats what i get for raising her allowance :p. She is currently looking at this car. 2017 2SS 12kmiles 455HP 6Sp Manual This would be around 40+ new . used-2017-chevrolet-camaro-camaro2ssmanualnavcambt-13156-18493594-10-800.jpg used-2017-chevrolet-camaro-camaro2ssmanualnavcambt-13156-18493594-1-800.jpg

Her budget is going up . Started at 20k Now its 34k. Thats what i get for raising her allowance :p. She is currently looking at this car. 2017 2SS 12kmiles 455HP 6Sp Manual This would be around 40+ new . View attachment 242415 View attachment 242414

My friend got a white one right when that new style came out. He loves the car and they handle well and go fast. This new style makes the previous one look huge and awkward in comparison.

My friend got a white one right when that new style came out. He loves the car and they handle well and go fast. This new style makes the previous one look huge and awkward in comparison.
White is probably the my last choice for color. White looks OK if it spotlessly clean.(similar to black) My first choice would be Burgundy then Black then Red then Silver,in that order. Same for a truck. Wife seems to gravitate towards the Black as first color choice. Then Burgundy then Red.