New Ashford Outdoor Air Kit Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Hey guys. I ordered the OAK for my new Ashford and it comes as part of the mobile home kit. Did I have to get this whole kit or is there a way to just get the adapter for the air intake on the back of the stove and that's it? I do not need to install it but want to in an effort to cut down on the amount of draft issues I had in the past with this stove. I want the available air element of draft to be eliminated.

Does the OAK have to go through the floor? I feel like I have seen people on the forum install them through the wall and down through the subfloor behind the wall in an effort to avoid cutting the floor beneath the back of the stove.

I had to get the whole "kit" but the only part that has any value is the bolt on adapter to allow hookup of round duct.

You do not have to go through the floor. Out the wall is fine, if your wall is thick enough to allow you to bend down into the subfloor then that is fine too. You aren't supposed to go up with it.

I recently rebuilt my hearth and replaced most of the hidden flex duct with metal 4" HVAC ducting. I especially wanted to be able to replace the visible portion of the duct if it were to get smashed somehow.

Reactions: webby3650