New Bizarre wind problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate having more pipe outside the heated space than inside. Always try to locate as close to the peak as possible. All that glass looks like a lot of heat loss anyway.

My other house had a stove in the basement and a pipe running outside up through an old fireplace box out that went up the end of the house.
Later I put a room addition on the back of the house with a valted celing and put the stove near the center of the roof peak. Never had a problem with that stove set-up.

Talked to a local stove shop and he said that the warm/wet weather today is going to help with draft. Last night it went from a cold day to temps in the 60's today so I had stove going last night when temps went up which would explain the down drafts. I may still order one on-line at some point.

ScottF said:
Ravens , So how did this all turn out? Did you resolve the problem with a cap? If so what kind?

Well, partially. I installed a wind resistant cap, the only one my dealer stocks. It works for most wind, but the huge gusts still have the same problem. I'm thinking now of adding some length to my chimney, or trying a different brand (more well known) of cap.

Well, partially. I installed a wind resistant cap, the only one my dealer stocks. It works for most wind, but the huge gusts still have the same problem. I’m thinking now of adding some length to my chimney, or trying a different brand (more well known) of cap.

Look up the vacu stack web site and speak to the engineer there before you buy anything else. He has been resolving chimney issues for 30 years . He helped me with mine. I ended up adding 2.5 feet to my masonry chimney and adding a vacu stack cap. I have not had a big enough wind to really test it yet but in moderate winds I have no problem now. I did notice that adding 2.5 feet to my chimney made a much better draw. I have an old antique stove so it burns through the wood faster now. cant believe what a difference adding so little height made.

Hey, Ravenswood...

<> As I was watching, a strong just of wind hit the house, and the firebox went dark! Smoke started pouring out of the intake dampers too. When the gust ended - WHOOSH, instant flaming hot firebox! Just like someone had hit a switch.<>

You didn't mention whether or not you have an OAK on your unit. If you do, that may be the culprit - NOT the cap.
Think about your description of the events - they're printed between the arrowheads above...
I quote, "The firebox went dark..." I would ask my self "Why? What could cause THAT to happen?
Your fire is burning nicely - so you have the three ingredients for fire...
1: Heat source
2: Oxygen &
3: Fuel...
If wind came down the chimney, it would add MORE OXYGEN.
On the other hand, IF the position of the OAK hood (or intake) was caught by the blast of wind in such a way, that instead of pushing air into the OAK,
it created a venturi effect & sucked air OUT of the OAK what would happen?
Loss of combustion air - OXYGEN - in the firebox, would cause the fire to go out...
When the wind died (or changed direction) the correctly drafting chimney system sucked more combustion air - OXYGEN - into the firebox &
I quote, " WHOOSH, instant flaming hot firebox! Just like someone had hit a switch..."
Ok...I'll admit to barely passing college physics, so I can't put this into a legible scientific formula, but it CAN & DOES happen.
It was proven a couple of years ago by www.woodheat.org & that proof caused Canada to drop OAK mandates.
Course that proof don't mean squat round these parts...

If you DON'T have an OAK, I didn't say anything.... :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.