New BK Insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I am finally getting to use my new BK Princess Insert. Some observations and ?'s I have. Sorry, I am new to this type of stove and have always have old non efficient smoke dragons !!!

1. I am using dry wood so the Cat stays active for the whole 12-13hr burn cycle. Is it ok for the Cat gauge to be burried a lot of the time?
2. At the end of the burn cycle I set the t-stat on medium and rake out the coals. I then load it with wood and run it on medium for a good 20 minutes and then turn it down to around 1 - 1.5. Sound ok to do?
3. Is it ok to not run the fans in the shoulder season?

Thanks, I love the stove already and cant wait for the really cold weather to see how she performs !!! Thanks Pete

pete97 said:
I am finally getting to use my new BK Princess Insert. Some observations and ?'s I have. Sorry, I am new to this type of stove and have always have old non efficient smoke dragons !!!

1. I am using dry wood so the Cat stays active for the whole 12-13hr burn cycle. Is it ok for the Cat gauge to be burried a lot of the time? It new give it a while to break in.

2. At the end of the burn cycle I set the t-stat on medium and rake out the coals. I then load it with wood and run it on medium for a good 20 minutes and then turn it down to around 1 - 1.5. Sound ok to do? Sure, as long as the cat was in the active zone when you reloaded. I would still do a high burn to clean it up once a day, nothing like a good hot fire. If it slips out of the active run it on high with the by-pass open until you reach active temp zone.

3. Is it OK to not run the fans in the shoulder season? I never do. By running the fan it will cool the insert down. This will help you unburied the cat gauge needle.

Thanks, I love the stove already and cant wait for the really cold weather to see how she performs !!! Thanks Pete

Thanks Lanning for the Info.

What's the deal with the cat gauge being buried? I assume its because you can't pull enough heat off the cat enclosure with an insert without the fan running?

pete97 said:
Is it ok for the Cat gauge to be burried a lot of the time?

No, your overfiring. This is why BK should have numbers on their thermometers. Internal cat temps shouldn't exceed 1800 degrees. Short spurts once in awhile is ok.

Its a Condar but doesn't have numbers on it. Just active and inactive. When you say buried, I assume you mean beyond active? Sounds like overfire to me too. Not sure how that is possible if you are 1-1.5 on the tstat.

This is the way my guage is set by condar. Is this like your cold? the red needle is on the D on Condar.

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 313
I have a different thermometer than the one in the link, it is branded BK with Condar in smaller print.

EDIT - just saw the pic you added. That looks exactly how mine is set up. When I get towards the upper end of active, it starts to have that smell that tells you to back it off a bit.

SolarAndWood said:
I have a different thermometer than the one in the link, it is branded BK with Condar in smaller print.

EDIT - just saw the pic you added. That looks exactly how mine is set up. When I get towards the upper end of active, it starts to have that smell that tells you to back it off a bit.

Is the red thing on D of the condar when its cold?

The stove hasn't been cold in almost a week but that looks right. I'll let you know for sure in May.

I had no other signs of an over fire. When the gauge was buried it was past the active on the right side. The t-stat was on medium and the fans off. The cat was glowing and I then turned it down to 1-1.5. The cat dial would stay in the "buried" range for while after that.

Where was the red needle set before firing it up? If it was set at the bottom of the inactive zone then you were more than likely fine. If the needle was close to where Lanning's is set then the cat was probably a bit hot. If I remember the manual correctly it just says temps above 1800 will shorten the life of the cat. On the other hand you do have an insert and with the fans off you will get a higher reading on the t-stat.

SolarAndWood said:
The stove hasn't been cold in almost a week but that looks right. I'll let you know for sure in May.

Its nice and warm in MN this week, going fishing in Can for the 30 inch Eyes this weekend.

Can ya do me a favor and pull your Condar and double check?

My stove has been out almost 24hrs and my CAT gauge has the red line right at the inactive line. Is mine out of calibration? Should it be like Lanning's ???

pete97 said:
My stove has been out almost 24hrs and my CAT gauge has the red line right at the inactive line. Is mine out of calibration? Should it be like Lanning's ???

This is out of the princes manual.

THERMOMETER
The probe of the Blaze King catalyst thermometer rests behind the catalyst. The thermometer gives an indication of
the temperature of the gasses after the catalyst. Due to the way it is made, the thermometer has a 4 - 8 minute lag
time. The thermometer should be periodically cleaned. Lift it from the stove (be careful, it may be hot) and wipe the
probe clean. At room temperature (out of the stove) the thermometer indicator generally points to the bottom of the
"Inactive" zone. It may, over time, change slightly. Adjust it by loosening the bolt above the dial, and turning the dial
face. Be sure the bolt is re-tightened before placing back on stove. See THERMOMETER, page 38

Lanning, I guess mine was in the correct position and your was out of calibration !!!!!

Fired up the stove today. The Cat gauge is still running all the way at the end of the active zone. Is ok for it to be there for long periods of time. I have the T-Stat on low to 1. Pete

pete97 said:
Fired up the stove today. The Cat gauge is still running all the way at the end of the active zone. Is ok for it to be there for long periods of time. I have the T-Stat on low to 1. Pete

Try it with the fan on and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.