New BK Princesss insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crowinghen

Oct 2, 2012
We had our insert installed last summer, and really like it, it can burn forever! But... I do wonder about a couple things
I can't turn the thermostat to high ( or even anywhere from 12-3 as if looking at a clock face) for more than a few minutes without the cat thermometer pegging out. I read that it's not a good thing to overfire the cat, is this normal to have to keep the thermostat so low? I thought it would somehow self regulate? It would be nice to get a little more heat, but that could be because we don't have our air circulation figured out and Hubby hasn't installed the insulating plate around the box inside the fireplace. . Also I worry that the fire is too cool and we might be getting alot of creosote with it always dampered down. For night time we turn the dial to 530-6 which does give us a nice long burn, so no complaints there. also this thing burns the wood so completely, its awesome!
We are new to Blaze kings, but not wood stoves. Burning dry fir.
thanks in advance!

New cats are always running a bit hotter. I would not sweat it. It's normal.

If your cat is active, you should not be worried too much about creosote; that is precisely the "food" that the cat eats to produce heat. That is, IF your wood is dry. Wet wood might cause problems.

I'm burning 100% dry fir as well. The cat thermometer is only to be used for determining when to close the bypass. After that, so long as your door gasket is tight and your draft within spec, the thermostat is designed to prevent overfire of the stove or the cat. In other words, as stoveliker said, don't worry about it. If you're cold, crank it up!

I find, that especially with good fir, the cat meter spends almost all of the time near the top of the cat meter. Even when a cat is pretty old. When it wears out, that is no longer the case and temperatures cool along with visible chimney emissions.