New Blaze King products?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sirocco 40? [emoji3]

Give me an Ashford 40 on a 6" chimney and I'll order it tomorrow. :) 8" chimney I'll still order but will take some time to convince the wife. ;lol

According to BKVP they are in production this week (another thread) and he suggested another poster contact him with the name of a dealer that says they are not available to resolve the issue.

Sounds like the Ashford is available soon if you really want one now.

Any plans on a bigger insert in 2017 for BK?
I just want to get an insert installed before October 2017...would kick myself if I bought something else and then a BK 3.0cu ft insert came out.

Im curious to know the percentage of sales between all the models, if that number can be given. For example for every king sold you sell 10 ashfords.

I assume you sell alot more smaller stoves then you do bigger.

Any plans on a bigger insert in 2017 for BK?
I just want to get an insert installed before October 2017...would kick myself if I bought something else and then a BK 3.0cu ft insert came out.
The problem with larger inserts, especially when you get into the 3.0 cu ft and above is that the liner will need to be 8", that's a tough sell since BK recommends insulated liners it there inserts due to lower than standard flue temps. Most chimney's can only fit 6" insulated liners, unless you want to spend the extra coin to have flue tiles removed.

Bump!!
Feb 28 has passed, any Ashford Insert pics yet?

Still waiting for a Princess freestander with an attractive enameled cast iron dress on her.

I went to the Fairbanks Spring Home Show today. EPA has been in town all week, with ADEC (Alaska Dept Environmental Conservation) and a bunch of meetings about air quality with the borough. The North Star Borough's seat is the city of Fairbanks. The borough is kinda like a county in the lower 48, population about 100,000, about the size of Connecticut.

Only one article in the local newspaper this week, highlighting one EPA functionary talking about how a particular community in Oregon had good laws on the books but still had low air quality until a new mayor got elected and the new mayor started actually enforcing the laws already on the books. I am going to make a point to go to the next Borough Assembly meeting, it should be loaded with the crusty sort of dudes with little pepper left in their salty beards from whom I take fashion advice; except I am unwilling to mend my clothing with duct tape.

I went to the Home Show to meet up with @BKVP who had offered to tell me about stomach ulcers. Given the general tone of the news this week I was half way expecting to hear about new wood stoves that will require functioning electricity to preheat the combustor on cold starts, but Chris was actually in a pretty good mood.

I got to see, on public display, a new BK stove that is not on the website yet. Plenty of preprinted BK brochures about the unit at the display stall.

It's called the Boxer 24 in the literature I saw, 2.4 cf firebox. Same already EPA approved innards as the Scirroco 25 (and likely the Ashford 25) fireplace inserts, but packaged as a freestanding stove.

boxer24.jpg

Very utilitarian in appearance, but 6" top exhaust, 39k BTU/hr at max throttle and all the controls are on the front. As pictured the bypass lever (above the door) is in the bypass open position. The rheostat is on the left side very near the front.

I got serious glass envy.

At 38-39k BTU/hr max rating this thing can pump like my Ashford 30 with a really nice radiant component out of all that glass. With only a 2.4cf firebox burn times will be reduced from the A30 by about a third.

It's insert lineage is pretty evident in the tapered firebox. The walls close in from the left and right a fair bit, I have no experience loading this thing and no idea how much trouble it is to pack it "tight".

But it says "Blaze King" on it. Chris says it should retail around $2300 in Fairbanks and be a "solid" $2k stove in the lower 48. I dunno if that means $1999.95 or what exactly. FWIW I paid $4300 for my Ashford 30, with fan kit, delivered to the second floor of my suburban home less than 5 miles from my nearest BK dealer on all paved roads. And it was worth it. Fool thing paid for itself the first winter.

I would think a 4 or 5 star energy rated cabin in the 800-1000sqft range, in Fairbanks, could probably run this stove very effectively. It is currently not legal here to build a home with wood as the primary heat source. But if you had one of these in a 5 star 1000sqft cabin you could probably run 12 hours burns (if you can pack it tight enough) for all but 10-12 weeks in the depth of winter on 12 hour burns and use oil only for domestic hot water. From Dec 1 to Feb 15 you could run 8 hour burns, likely, and/ or burn a little oil to keep the joint from freezing up.

Depending on your sqft-age, envelope and latitude this could be a really good shop stove too. I am looking at 20x40, I wanna build some 24' boats, but with walls and floor at R30-40 and an R60-80 ceiling and good air tightness I could likely be curing epoxy for 9-10 months out of the year. Since I am already running a cubic freestander in the house, the tapered side walls of the Boxer 24 might be a mighty fine catcher for my shorts and uglies.

Chris and I talked a little bit about the Eastern US in general. Folks have been building homes there for some 400 years.

I know perfectly well that removing a masonry fireplace is a $10-20k job if you aren't doing it yourself. If you are seriously looking at an insert because you already have a fireplace- just look at one other thing before you commit. The efficiency gains from running a freestanding stove compared to an insert will add up. The colder your winters the faster they add up, just pencil this one.

What if you leave your fireplace alone and put in a freestanding stove with it's own chimney? How much will that really cost, up front, compared to an insert? Once you have that number, then look at how much more efficiently a freestander can put BTUs in your insulation envelope. There are a bunch of little tiny houses back east that just don't have room for fireplace ambience and a freestanding wood stove. But there are plenty of slightly bigger ones that can (possibly economically) contain both.

If you got room on your floor plan adding a Class A chimney is a whale of a lot cheaper than taking out a masonry pile, but you can maybe have both fireplace ambience in the shoulder seasons, and an efficient wood burner in the winter.

Chris did mention that the "Ashford 40" "Pretty Princess" stove is not on the current event horizon at BK.

The Boxer 24. It's not for everybody, but it can sure scratch some itches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jetsam
I went to the Fairbanks Spring Home Show today. EPA has been in town all week, with ADEC (Alaska Dept Environmental Conservation) and a bunch of meetings about air quality with the borough. The North Star Borough's seat is the city of Fairbanks. The borough is kinda like a county in the lower 48, population about 100,000, about the size of Connecticut.

Only one article in the local newspaper this week, highlighting one EPA functionary talking about how a particular community in Oregon had good laws on the books but still had low air quality until a new mayor got elected and the new mayor started actually enforcing the laws already on the books. I am going to make a point to go to the next Borough Assembly meeting, it should be loaded with the crusty sort of dudes with little pepper left in their salty beards from whom I take fashion advice; except I am unwilling to mend my clothing with duct tape.

I went to the Home Show to meet up with @BKVP who had offered to tell me about stomach ulcers. Given the general tone of the news this week I was half way expecting to hear about new wood stoves that will require functioning electricity to preheat the combustor on cold starts, but Chris was actually in a pretty good mood.

I got to see, on public display, a new BK stove that is not on the website yet. Plenty of preprinted BK brochures about the unit at the display stall.

It's called the Boxer 24 in the literature I saw, 2.4 cf firebox. Same already EPA approved innards as the Scirroco 25 (and likely the Ashford 25) fireplace inserts, but packaged as a freestanding stove.

View attachment 196508

Very utilitarian in appearance, but 6" top exhaust, 39k BTU/hr at max throttle and all the controls are on the front. As pictured the bypass lever (above the door) is in the bypass open position. The rheostat is on the left side very near the front.

I got serious glass envy.

At 38-39k BTU/hr max rating this thing can pump like my Ashford 30 with a really nice radiant component out of all that glass. With only a 2.4cf firebox burn times will be reduced from the A30 by about a third.

It's insert lineage is pretty evident in the tapered firebox. The walls close in from the left and right a fair bit, I have no experience loading this thing and no idea how much trouble it is to pack it "tight".

But it says "Blaze King" on it. Chris says it should retail around $2300 in Fairbanks and be a "solid" $2k stove in the lower 48. I dunno if that means $1999.95 or what exactly. FWIW I paid $4300 for my Ashford 30, with fan kit, delivered to the second floor of my suburban home less than 5 miles from my nearest BK dealer on all paved roads. And it was worth it. Fool thing paid for itself the first winter.

I would think a 4 or 5 star energy rated cabin in the 800-1000sqft range, in Fairbanks, could probably run this stove very effectively. It is currently not legal here to build a home with wood as the primary heat source. But if you had one of these in a 5 star 1000sqft cabin you could probably run 12 hours burns (if you can pack it tight enough) for all but 10-12 weeks in the depth of winter on 12 hour burns and use oil only for domestic hot water. From Dec 1 to Feb 15 you could run 8 hour burns, likely, and/ or burn a little oil to keep the joint from freezing up.

Depending on your sqft-age, envelope and latitude this could be a really good shop stove too. I am looking at 20x40, I wanna build some 24' boats, but with walls and floor at R30-40 and an R60-80 ceiling and good air tightness I could likely be curing epoxy for 9-10 months out of the year. Since I am already running a cubic freestander in the house, the tapered side walls of the Boxer 24 might be a mighty fine catcher for my shorts and uglies.

Chris and I talked a little bit about the Eastern US in general. Folks have been building homes there for some 400 years.

I know perfectly well that removing a masonry fireplace is a $10-20k job if you aren't doing it yourself. If you are seriously looking at an insert because you already have a fireplace- just look at one other thing before you commit. The efficiency gains from running a freestanding stove compared to an insert will add up. The colder your winters the faster they add up, just pencil this one.

What if you leave your fireplace alone and put in a freestanding stove with it's own chimney? How much will that really cost, up front, compared to an insert? Once you have that number, then look at how much more efficiently a freestander can put BTUs in your insulation envelope. There are a bunch of little tiny houses back east that just don't have room for fireplace ambience and a freestanding wood stove. But there are plenty of slightly bigger ones that can (possibly economically) contain both.

If you got room on your floor plan adding a Class A chimney is a whale of a lot cheaper than taking out a masonry pile, but you can maybe have both fireplace ambience in the shoulder seasons, and an efficient wood burner in the winter.

Chris did mention that the "Ashford 40" "Pretty Princess" stove is not on the current event horizon at BK.

The Boxer 24. It's not for everybody, but it can sure scratch some itches.
I assume Chris approved of posting that picture?

I assume Chris approved of posting that picture?

I didn't ask. It was on public display. I dunno how many hundreds of people went to the show. IABA spring 2017 home show, googable.

Full disclosure, Chris did buy me one (and only one) beer shortly after i bought my A30, picked up the dinner tab for my wife and i same night; and we both have a free stocking cap (toque) with the BK logo that might have come from our local BK dealer.

I didn't ask. It was on public display. I dunno how many hundreds of people went to the show. IABA spring 2017 home show, googable.

Full disclosure, Chris did buy me one (and only one) beer shortly after i bought my A30, picked up the dinner tab for my wife and i same night; and we both have a free stocking cap (toque) with the BK logo that might have come from our local BK dealer.
This is a bit different venue than a home show.

It's pretty close to coming to the market, they are probably ok with the picture.

It's pretty close to coming to the market, they are probably ok with the picture.

Fairbanks is a non-standard venue. That's our spring home show. I think there were three booths looking to sell me tractors, well drilling, siding components, house parts. Carpet and paint and cabinetry dealers, not so much here. The bathtub guy from last year didnt come back this year. The closest thing we have to landscaping is planning where to put the snow plow piles.

It could be that Chris is trying something different with marketing on this one to see how it works. How many guys local to you are talking about putting R80 ceilings in detached shops like its normal?

Fairbanks is a non-standard venue. That's our spring home show. I think there were three booths looking to sell me tractors, well drilling, siding components, house parts. Carpet and paint and cabinetry dealers, not so much here. The bathtub guy from last year didnt come back this year. The closest thing we have to landscaping is planning where to put the snow plow piles.

It could be that Chris is trying something different with marketing on this one to see how it works. How many guys local to you are talking about putting R80 ceilings in detached shops like its normal?
I've seen the stove, it wasn't the unveiling . They typically don't want pics floating around until things are finalized. I'm not sure what this has to do with insulation or landscaping?

I've seen the stove, it wasn't the unveiling . They typically don't want pics floating around until things are finalized. I'm not sure what this has to do with insulation or landscaping?

The fbx home show is more about what you need to build a house on the land you just bought and less about decorating or upgrading a finished building. Sorry.

If you wanna come up summer 2018 we can jump in my boat and have no cell service looking for bear in 20 minutes or so. I am booked for 2017.

I suspect the Boxer 24 will/could sell very well up here, it will come down to packing the box tight for long burns, over and over. 800-1000sqft of 5 star is a very popular home size.

I'd love to come for a visit! I'd move to Alaska in a heartbeat, but I'm married... she says I'd be living alone.

Still waiting for a Princess freestander with an attractive enameled cast iron dress on her.

I don't expect that will ever happen. See, the princess is a pretty dirty stove at 2.4 gph emissions and the 30 series stoves are only very slightly smaller but with much lower emissions at under 1 gph. Unfortunately, efficiency is lower as well. If we see a larger stove from BK it will be all new is my guess.

I know perfectly well that removing a masonry fireplace is a $10-20k job if you aren't doing it yourself.

Hardly! This is surely location dependent but I had a masonry chimney completely removed in one day for right around 1000$. They come apart very easily. Removing a masonry chimney is a good idea for many reasons including the dang thing falling on your head during an earthquake!

On this boxster. Yay, another small BK stove to fit between existing models. Can't they try and stretch the limits of a 6" flue by offering a larger 6" model? Where's that princess 35? Seems the market for the boxster is folks that really really want the large glass. The numbers for the 25 series box aren't so good, lowest efficiency of the entire line but clean burning at under 1 gph. The Chinook 30 looks almost the same and kills it in every way.

@Highbeam , i agree the chinook 30 would be easier to load and give longer burn times from the bigger box. But it costs about double the Boxer.

At the announced pricepoint i see Boxer competing with other mfrs rather than other bk products.

What other stoves msrp around $2k and can produce 35k + BTU/hr ? While emitting 2.5 gph or less?

@Highbeam , i agree the chinook 30 would be easier to load and give longer burn times from the bigger box. But it costs about double the Boxer.

At the announced pricepoint i see Boxer competing with other mfrs rather than other bk products.

What other stoves msrp around $2k and can produce 35k + BTU/hr ? While emitting 2.5 gph or less?
Only 1 comes to mind, I believe that was BK's objective. To compete with the only other super efficient utilitarian stove for $2K. Woodstock Absolute Steel...

Ah I see now, this is to be a budget cat stove. Not unlike the IS from Woodstock. That must be the reason for its existence since the other models so closely meet or beat the performance.

To answer your specific question, my NC30 makes way more than 35kbtu per hour and emits 1.6 GPH for 600-800$. The IS sounds like a good competitor too. No thermostat though, and no long burn times.

Only 1 comes to mind, I believe that was BK's objective. To compete with the only other super efficient utilitarian stove for $2K. Woodstock Absolute Steel...

Both the Ideal Steel and Absolute steel from Woodstock boast a "budget" oriented price point with very low emissions.

Ah I see now, this is to be a budget cat stove. Not unlike the IS from Woodstock. That must be the reason for its existence since the other models so closely meet or beat the performance.

To answer your specific question, my NC30 makes way more than 35kbtu per hour and emits 1.6 GPH for 600-800$. The IS sounds like a good competitor too. No thermostat though, and no long burn times.
Ya, some can compare in output and "efficiency". All pale in comparison to the long burn times of the BK, which is what I call efficiency. If I can load my stove half as often and have steady output over the entire burn, it's efficient as can be in my book!