New bricks for Regency I-2400 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I have a Regency insert from 2008. Original everything. I would like to replace all the bricks this year. But not the top baffles as they are in good shape. I would also like to replace the rope gasket on the door and glass as I think I’m getting air through it. Should I go through the dealership?

Buy your split fire brick at a local block company. They will be able to cut them to whatever size you need.
The door gasket (Rutland is a good brand) can be bought at a local hardware store & so can RTV Silicone to attach it to the door channel...
Tape gasket for the glass is also made by Rutland. There are plenty of instructional videos on youtube...

No do not buy standard firebrick splits. Regency uses soft pumice brick and that is what you should replace them with. The dealer is the best bet to get the right gasket as well

There have been lots of problems with people buying generic (like rutland) door gaskets. They just aren’t the same size and/or density as the stove manufacturer gaskets so the door leaks. It’s too bad, there’s no good reason that this can’t be standardized.

It’s too bad, there’s no good reason that this can’t be standardized.
My guess is that this is cost-driven. When comparing the PE Alderlea gasket to those by Rutland and Meeco (gold) there are obvious differences. The Rutland is a softer, looser weave, the Meeco Gold is very stiff. Both leaked when tried on the stove. The Meeco Gold was particularly bad at sealing. It was too stiff. In comparison, the OEM gasket had a tighter weave, a thicker, but more pliant density and most notably, an inner weave in addition to the outer weave, almost like a gasket within a gasket. It worked well where the others were failures right off the bat.

Reactions: Highbeam
We carry about 15 different rolls of gasket on the truck and still sometimes don't have the right stuff. OEM is always the safest bet

Not wanting to start any battles, here, but you know what they say about Opinions. Everybody has one.
If a product works for me & not for you, is it the wrong product?
We use split bricks from a local masonry block dealer. No issues in replacing Regency Pumice bricks with those splits... None.
We use Rutland gaskets & they work well if installed correctly & the same configuration (round, flat, or oval) is used.
We do not use gasket cement, per se, but RTV silicone, to adhere the gaskets to the channels...
We've been business since 1977 & have many repeat customers. We must be doing something right...
I stand by my response.

Reactions: bholler
Not wanting to start any battles, here, but you know what they say about Opinions. Everybody has one.
If a product works for me & not for you, is it the wrong product?
We use split bricks from a local masonry block dealer. No issues in replacing Regency Pumice bricks with those splits... None.
We use Rutland gaskets & they work well if installed correctly & the same configuration (round, flat, or oval) is used.
We do not use gasket cement, per se, but RTV silicone, to adhere the gaskets to the channels...
We've been business since 1977 & have many repeat customers. We must be doing something right...
I stand by my response.
The problem is changing the type of bricks technically voids the ul listing and makes clearances invalid. In reality it probably doesn't matter much. But as a pro I can never recomend anything that would cause potential problems.