• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karl1989

Mar 4, 2020
SE Wisconsin, USA
Hello

I am building a new home and want to have a wood stove in my great room along an exterior wall.

What is normally done for new construction? I didnt talk with my builder yet on this but would like some insight.

I would like to have a faux brick wall behind the stove, but don't think I want it mounted over the drywall with an 1" air gap. Is there any way around this since its a new build? Obviously would like to minimize clearances as much as possible.

I am considering the following stoves

Jotul F 500
Jotul F 45

Thanks

Attachments

• 123_1-2.jpeg
    123_1-2.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 182
You could look into Built In Stoves, Lennox Heating carries them now. removes your clearance concerns and look nice in new builds. If you search some of my old threads i had posted pics in the past. Should update the pics as we have finally finished around our stove.

Sorry for the dark pic ( family member sleeping on sofa).. mine is on an outside wall, not what you showed but just an option to consider

Attachments

• Finished BIS.jpg
    Finished BIS.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 169
Hello

I am building a new home and want to have a wood stove in my great room along an exterior wall.

What is normally done for new construction? I didnt talk with my builder yet on this but would like some insight.

I would like to have a faux brick wall behind the stove, but don't think I want it mounted over the drywall with an 1" air gap. Is there any way around this since its a new build? Obviously would like to minimize clearances as much as possible.

I am considering the following stoves

Jotul F 500
Jotul F 45

Thanks

yes, this can be done. For that wall have them use metal studs and concrete board instead of sheet rock. You may have some venting requirements of the inside of the wall depending on what you have on the other side (I would put small vent in it anyways because you never know).

yes, this can be done. For that wall have them use metal studs and concrete board instead of sheet rock. You may have some venting requirements of the inside of the wall depending on what you have on the other side (I would put small vent in it anyways because you never know).
Check your clearances. You may need the concrete board on the opposite wall as well.

Solidworks, not the greatest tool for renderings (-8.

Check your clearances. You may need the concrete board on the opposite wall as well.

Solidworks, not the greatest tool for renderings (-8.

I had meant to say use concrete board on both sides. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: Mech e