New burner. Old stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
I have been reading the forum extensively over the past few weeks. And now the cold has finally set in so I should maybe learn some more my neighbor gave me a daka 501, and I have that heating the shop 6" about 5' into a clay tile lined block chimney . I picked up a arrow insert for the house and that has been working great. I "slammed" it in , 8" pipe 3' long going into clean inspected clay tile lined chimney. I'm burning cottonwood slab wood from a neighbor with a saw mill. Does anyone have experience with these stoves or any tips for burning slab wood ? Or any suggestions for a better heat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 146
Well you should have a full liner for the insert and you absolutly need to have some additional hearth protection in front of it. As far as the stove in your shop does it have a plate stating the required clearances? if not you need 36" from the stove to any combustible material. It does not look like you have that. You also need 18" from that pipe to any combustibles which is also to close. I wont even mention the chimney built on a bracket attached to the wall or the lack of proper clearances from that chimney at this point. I see lots of potential safety issues and many code violations

I will eventually get a proper insert and liner. It's just temp for now. To save some money and clean up my trees. The shop has nothing about clearances. It's supposed to be wrapped in tin with a blower as a back up to a forced air furnace. I am in the process of wrapping it and adding a furnace fan. The block chimney never gets warm it's clay tile lined and in good shape. It served the propane unit heater and generator before I moved in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shop has nothing about clearances.
Then you need 36"

The block chimney never gets warm it's clay tile lined and in good shape.
It still needs 2" of clearance from the outside of the block to any combustible material. In the event of a chimney fire it can get hot enough to ignite adjacent wood.

You also still have the clearance from the pipe issue that can be taken care of with a ventilated heat shield so can the stove clearance issues. But the lack of clearances and the lack of a foundation for the chimney are an issue.

I will eventually get a proper insert and liner. It's just temp for now.
A temporary system can still cause a fire. Is the connector pipe at least into the first liner. and do you have a good tight fitting block off plate? And you absolutely need to have the hearth protection.

I suppose that makes sense. I can add some ventilated tin in the shop. I have a fan on the floor right now to keep it from getting warm, I plan on tiling it within the week, and the chimney piece goes into the clay tile just barely but it's in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can add some ventilated tin in the shop
it needs to be spaced off the wall by 1" with non combustible spacers and have a 1" gap top and bottom. Same for the shield on the pipe.

and the chimney piece goes into the clay tile just barely but it's in there
Is there a plate sealing off the chimney around that pipe? I hate to see this type of install but if you are going to do it you need to do it right to be even remotely safe.

Only plate is a bunch of Roxul. And that's stuffed all around the insert
yeah not good enough. Creosote can soak into that and it can then catch fire You need a sheet metal plate that is sealed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.