NEW CAP - BETTER DRAFT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Last weekend I finally got tired of birds flying down the chimney and into the stove (when it wasn't in use, of course). This happend before, but usually in the Spring. Anyway, I replaced my Metalbestos cap with a 3/4 inch mesh screen Homesaver brand stainless cap. I didn't want to go with a screened cap because of concerns about creosote buildup. As it turns out, it seems like my draft improved because (I'm guessing) the new cap (which is larger and doesn't have a metal band blocking part of the opening) allows more air to flow over the chimney pipe and helps draw air/smoke out. That, or it lets smoke out faster. Or, maybe, it's just my imagination and I just want to believe that I got something extra for $130.

Mommy, $130 for a cap? At that price you 100% are sure the stove is working MUCH better. I know I am

$30 cap and $100 for a sweep to install?

Franks said:
Mommy, $130 for a cap? At that price you 100% are sure the stove is working MUCH better. I know I am

Yeah, this one:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...dian-304-Stainless-Steel-3-4-Mesh-Chimney-Cap

I bought it locally and paid a little bit more plus tax (at least I avoided shipping cost and time). I couldn't be bothered wasting more time waiting and chasing birds or shopping for caps.

I have money to burn anyway.... in fact, when I run out of seasoned wood, I just load the stove with currency :lol:

Ja, at that price it not only burns better but also reduces male pattern baldness.

I replace both of my caps with the hinged terra cotta termination caps with built in top plate and 3/4" mesh this year and I love'em. Expensive but after three and a half cords I just looked up with binoculars and the one doing the heavy burning shows no sign of clogging and draft is great. I had never used caps with screens before so I was apprehensive. I won't know what the inside of the pipe looks like until next week because of snow on the roof but at mid-season it was fine.

LLigetfa said:

I installed it myself. I guess my mechanical skills are better than my shopping skills :cheese:

Last cap I bought was 12 years ago. Sometimes when I see today's prices I feel like I just stepped out of a time capsule.

JotulOwner said:
LLigetfa said:

I installed it myself. I guess my mechanical skills are better than my shopping skills :cheese:

Mine were $120 each and I considered that a deal since I had looked around for a year and the best I had found was a hundred and sixty apiece. Woodland included shipping too.

JotulOwner said:
Last weekend I finally got tired of birds flying down the chimney and into the stove (when it wasn't in use, of course). This happend before, but usually in the Spring. Anyway, I replaced my Metalbestos cap with a 3/4 inch mesh screen Homesaver brand stainless cap. I didn't want to go with a screened cap because of concerns about creosote buildup. As it turns out, it seems like my draft improved because (I'm guessing) the new cap (which is larger and doesn't have a metal band blocking part of the opening) allows more air to flow over the chimney pipe and helps draw air/smoke out. That, or it lets smoke out faster. Or, maybe, it's just my imagination and I just want to believe that I got something extra for $130.

Hope you don't get put off by all the comments about how expensive the cap is. I think it's just the nature of many wood burners -- they don't like to spend much money.

I rec'd similar comments when asking for advice about firewood racks. Some thought I was crazy for not just chucking wood on the ground and waiting a few years for it to season, while others said I should scrounge for abandoned pallets. I too live on LI, and don't have a huge lot of land. I've got neighbors close by, so I need a neat solution for a confined space.

In any event, from one LI-based Jotul owner to another, best of luck with your new cap.

JotulOwner said:
I have money to burn anyway.... in fact, when I run out of seasoned wood, I just load the stove with currency :lol:

Ha, YEAH!!! ME TOO!!!

Heck a hundred bucks ain't one nights beer money ;-P

Indeed, my bet would be you could notice a draft improvement, I got a couple guys here that been sweeps for a lifetime, they say throw the cap away.

I keep mine on there though, to keep the birdies and the water out :)

HehHeh . . . wood burners and money. We're a funny lot. The idea of writing a check for heating oil or gas makes us blanch . . . but the idea of buying a second chainsaw, hydraulic splitter or some other needed tool to help us "save" money and many of us can't wait to dig out our checkbook . . . it's an addiction I know. I keep thinking that I will have paid off my stove purchase in X number of years . . . but then I end up buying some new "toy" and that pay off date just keeps moving further away . . . the good news . . . I'm getting outside, getting some exercise and having fun . . . and of course not supporting dictators, despots and using a renewable energy source and blah blah blah blah . . . so much for my original idea of saving money. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.