New Castle Serenity and Noisy Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not bad just mapped it and it's about 1 hour from me.would only be able to get there on saturday or Sunday though, during the week I work until 5

No I wouldn't except any compensation

I would love to meet you! Thank you sooooo much!!!!! We don't know anyone else with a pellet stove. Learning curve lol

Sent from my A621BL using Tapatalk

I enjoy meeting new folks and talking pellet stoves

Reactions: Vand M
We love the stoves. Just learning how they work.

We love the stoves. Just learning how they work.

Murphy ya know ya love talking pellet stoves too .New at it .He loves learning and chatting :) TY so much for offering to come ..Will be fantastic .Love meeting new people here also .Yeah Pellet talk .I am a woman , I want to learn everything about them :)

They are real simple once you get the basics, can just be little overwhelming at first

Road Trip!!!;lol;lol rich, great to offer your expertise on the Serenity. It's driving you crazy that there are two problem stoves when you had minimal issues with yours. Good luck with the troubleshooting and hope it's something simple. Keep us posted...

I listened to each video again. The description of a train horn is about right and it really sounds like an air noise. Touching the shroud with the handle mostly proves it in my mind.

I'm trying to find a video on youtube that explains this blower design. But till I do, think about stuff like a hair dryer or a leaf blower. The whiny noise is from the air and fan not the engine. They are similar styles of blowers, but for different purposes.

I will play with the blower on the other stove and see what happens. I do believe it is something simple!

Road Trip!!!;lol;lol rich, great to offer your expertise on the Serenity. It's driving you crazy that there are two problem stoves when you had minimal issues with yours. Good luck with the troubleshooting and hope it's something simple. Keep us posted...
Ya all are awesome people ! ;) I think its awesome . I can see we are going to love it here and meeting Rich will be fantastic ! We are into The pellet for Biofuel .Its really a money eater and I hate to buy oil Used wood , grew up with wood stoves as did Murph . We already see how much money it can save and better for the environment I HOPE ;) Been trying to heat with electric .I do Not like paying them either HA V

I listened to each video again. The description of a train horn is about right and it really sounds like an air noise. Touching the shroud with the handle mostly proves it in my mind.

I'm trying to find a video on youtube that explains this blower design. But till I do, think about stuff like a hair dryer or a leaf blower. The whiny noise is from the air and fan not the engine. They are similar styles of blowers, but for different purposes.
When I first wrote in about this noise This is V .I swore It sounded allot like a hair dryer .So this makes sense !

you are correct Lake Girl it is driving me crazy, can't help myself just my love for the Serenity ==c

Reactions: Vand M and GT_Sharp
Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post but did you pull the OAK off the stove to see if this changed the noise?

I'll try it and see if it does anything.

So, because of this thread, I have been paying extra attention to my stove's sounds. Though it is impossible to know for sure the decibel level of your stove noise from a video taken by phone, I can now hear from the side of one of my stoves, the "train horn" sound. In my house, and the way the stove is oriented etc. the decibel level is acceptable to my ears. It does not bother me as a background noise. However, now, after paying closer attention to it, perhaps it is the decibel level that is causing your problems more so than the noise itself?

If the new fan does not make a difference, and both of your stoves have the same noise, then I guess I would tend to believe that it is normal for the stove, but maybe the decibel level is amplified by the stove's surroundings in your house by design. ??

I hope that "we" as a group, can resolve the decibel level issue and make you happy with the Serenity stoves, as it sounds like you do appreciate the simplicity of them as do many other Serenity owners.

The air intake for the room fan is obviously from all over the place on the stove. The top of the stove has a artistic design cut into it with a screen behind it to keep larger foreign material from falling into the workings of the stove including the room fan. That is more than enough inlet air for the room fan. Yet there are also all sorts of perforations on the sides of the stove that air can come in as well as the lower back panel.
So I just set a larger book over the top plate and noticed quite a difference in the sound level and direction. (yes I removed the book) Think or it like your stove is sitting in a theater and you are in the auditorium. The sound is sent to you by design. If you were to leave your seat and walk behind the theater curtain, you would not be able to hear anything going on in front of the curtain.

If you have anything in the kitchen that is non flammable like a hot plate pad or the like, maybe set it on top of the stove and see if it makes the noise level more tolerable? Experiment with stuff like that a bit and see what happens. Personally, the noise does not bother me, but now I may make it a project to see how low I can get the decibel level just for fun.

Thank you for the post! I appreciate everything it very much. It is an old house and noises tend to float in here, so that is a possibility. I have taken the too off the other stove and I am sealing all the little cracks between the welds of the blower chamber. Looks like a good place to start lol. I will keep everyone posted on what I find and what was done. As well as what worked and did not. Thanks again. By the way, glad you remembers to remove the book lol

IMG_20170126_133522.jpeg

Hearth in the kitchen.

I'll try it and see if it does anything.

V here .We are waiting hopefully by tomorrow . My ex ( a mason ) is making a nice hearth bottom for the 1st stove to go into the LR with the new motor. In this room we will see the difference in the noise the stove makes . I should send you a photo of where the one running is now . Definitely can make a difference ... The OAK on the 2nd one is clamped tight .Yet is doesnt seems to be as noisy or the noise isnt bothering me .Other than AH playing with setting it over heated and It did what it was supposed to and shut down we reset all good .In fact its heating very well ..Oh yeah , we have a Entreeair corner door fan .We actually had 2 .Nothing wrong with them .I plugged one back in hung it ..The reason i now remeber I didnt care for it .WOrked good for moving air .But it was NOISY . Probably worse than the stove ..SO it just may be the norm , depending on where things are sitting ect .By far the Serenity we have up now is still not as loud as the dirst and blows much more effectively .We will know more when Murphy gets time to get the motor in ..NOW we are sealing cracks all over the house .The wind is at it again .We found more attic coves to insulate .. WHAT a RIDE :) V

The joys of old house ownership;lol Lots of fix-ups and insulating. My old house wasn't that old ... homework found in the wall when insulating was dated 1903. Something to keep in mind with future renos, balloon construction needs to have firestops installed between first and second floors.

Are there rubber feet on the legs of the stove? If not, something else that could help. How level is the stove ... variations in the floor or brick hearth could allow for vibrations.

The joys of old house ownership;lol Lots of fix-ups and insulating. My old house wasn't that old ... homework found in the wall when insulating was dated 1903. Something to keep in mind with future renos, balloon construction needs to have firestops installed between first and second floors.

Are there rubber feet on the legs of the stove? If not, something else that could help. How level is the stove ... variations in the floor or brick hearth could allow for vibrations.

That's a good point about the rubber feet to keep harmonics isolated. I had not thought about that.

There are fire-stops here .Someone did some .Murph has done some when he sees the opportunity . :) I still hate the thoughts of ever having a house fire for any reason
Which does bring me to my concerns . We have the second serentity installed and running .YEP Makes the same noises . Not quite as loud .All is running GREAT . The old ha new one with the new motor is now in the LR and we are cooking hot on 2 Its 82 in there now with out door temps at 26 with a breeze :) My ex a safety foreman for the masonry union . Laid a dry firebrick hearth for the floor .He just came Placed firebrick on one side wall .This stove is cornered at proper to the book clearances . except my one wall just is getting to hot . As is my sofa which he moved 3 .5 ft away and placed a metal fire shield .This all temporary . until I move the room around . At some point he still wants to install it in the chimney center of room .A point he made , which I agree on is the min clearances to any wood ,pellet or heating appliance should be 3ft or more Of Course I already knew this .I was part of and ran his business for 28 years .Also am a former wood burner :) .He suggested not placing anything combustible even behind the stove .In the case of any blowout fires, or mishaps of any kind .I always take his advice .he has been in the business 45 years .Some of the pics you see of the pellet stoves in general have rockers curtains baskets ect Ya all know .Way to close to them .Just a little for any newbies FYI .This stove seems to be hotter than the other on the same setting .We are thinking location .The kitchen is open to the parlor a side porch the dining room and set back into a full masonry hearth The living room is open to the foyer and a doorway to the dining room .I am actually getting heat upstairs now from the LR Install .Although I would like more to go up .The 2 coldest bedrooms are right above the Living room .. I will send a photo :) Im not great at that like Murphy is ..BTW Rich so sorry your camper got a tree .Hope all is ok V