New Castle Serenity and Noisy Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My OPINION, heavy on the O, in a drafty house (like mine) an oak is not needed, especially if you have or plan to have an APU hooked up for a power outage situation. I do not run OAKs on my stoves as my house, though a week or two newer than yours, is very old and has no wall insulation. It's been added on to a few times and all that sorta stuff.

I was home when we had a power outage and my stove had enough draw in the chimney to pull all the smoke out. I have just a few feet (I think 6') of vertical pellet type double wall chimney. It was warm enough that when the power went off, and the fans stopped, the fire pot smoldered and the chimney pulled that smoke out instead of coming back thru the air inlet and into the house. So that is a risk of not running a OAK.

But there are several threads on this site listing issues with burn quality in windy situations. It makes sense when the oak is right on the outside wall and the pressure changes with each gust. Think of it like standing outside in a windy snow storm. If you turn your back to the wind, the snow will pull up at your face as there is a lower pressure area in front of you. If you turn into the wind, though you will feel directly the force of the wind, less snow will make contact with your face.So when the wind blows by your OAK, one time it will push air into it, next time it can pull air away from it. If you do prefer to run an OAK, and it is just the one stove that is giving you fits, see if you can put some sort of temporary wind box around it and see how it works. It does'nt take much. Anything you have sitting there like a couple stack of flower pots etc. just to break the velocity of the wind right next to the OAK inlet.

IMO.
THIS makes sense .We do have the screen and wind hood .YET it is definitely not enough .He said he will try to block velocity .Or we will take the OAK off and give it a shot .The wind is so bad here. I have to bolt an old church pew down and Old side seat on the die of the front porch the wind slams . We cannot keep anything on the back porch .Unless we want it in the road or the neighbor yard !.So heavy I cannot lift them . the wind will carry them up and over ..Some days I expect the wicked witch to FLY by HA ..Love you have an old home also .Ya have to love them .To go thru all the things they require :) V

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Have you tried using the fan to circulate air? May help to pull air upstairs but not positive. Air may cool too much to be effective as well. If that doesn't work, any way to extend that cold air return to the first floor by creating a wall/corner to house the air return.

Reactions: Vand M
Have you tried using the fan to circulate air? May help to pull air upstairs but not positive. Air may cool too much to be effective as well. If that doesn't work, any way to extend that cold air return to the first floor by creating a wall/corner to house the air return.
YES .Thats what we are going to do :) We have a duct fan so we can draw up that return . TY :)

UPDATE .. Castle Stoves .
Well , we have not been around for a few .We have both stoves up and running now :) The new one which was in the kitchen .Went a bit haywire . Way over Burning . We tried everything , as last we posted here .We called Ardisam ..The CS Lady , we know her by name now HA WAS FANTASTIC .She ran thru all kinds of set checks .The black box or brain and heat sensors were bad .She sent us basically ALL new parts for the entire stove Gaskets and all ! The clunking noise is gone .All runs smooth ..The noise is much less , but basically a normal sound .She did several resets with Murphy and didnt like the numbers or that it set itself back to a wacky setting on its own ! We are thinking about any damage in transit . The stove had allot of rattling in the panels .Especially where the black box was .So for now and Lets hope all is well .Thank you all for ALL the help .Wewill send pics when we get all cleaned up we just had a wind snow storm with really frigid temps . We were short the kitchen stove the last 2 nights parts came in 2 days .Figures the weather played dirty pool HA

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
THIS makes sense .We do have the screen and wind hood .YET it is definitely not enough .He said he will try to block velocity .Or we will take the OAK off and give it a shot .The wind is so bad here. I have to bolt an old church pew down and Old side seat on the die of the front porch the wind slams . We cannot keep anything on the back porch .Unless we want it in the road or the neighbor yard !.So heavy I cannot lift them . the wind will carry them up and over ..Some days I expect the wicked witch to FLY by HA ..Love you have an old home also .Ya have to love them .To go thru all the things they require :) V

Oh yes Deezl We thought it was a drafty window by the stove . It was a modification former owners did to the room above the kitchen .They screwed it all up . taking out floor and such .The room is ALWAYS icy and wind cold. Last night suring the windstorm I felt it balsting me from the trim between the ceiling and floor .He sealed it .This weekend he has to pull the trim upstairs at the floor and outside the clapboard to close an obvious hole . ;( Ill send pics Ya all will find this interesting .It highlylikely this didnt help calm the stove .He had the draft about shut last week .All is fixed for now AHHH We hope . :) V

Ok. New fan installed. It is a newer version of the blower fan in the castle.( a lot quieter!!!!! (No more whistling of the train lmao) now I have a rattling noise. Not all the time. It is quiet then just starts. It could be an hour or more before it does it. Any ideas??

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Something is loose, not level etc. Make sure everything is snug, starting with the fan itself and in the airstream.

Reactions: Vand M
That's what I am doing now. The fan is a little adjustable up and down. It looks like one of the metal dimples from the manufacturer is sticking out and touching the stove. Moved it down just to clear some room for it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Reactions: pageyjim
This fan is an upgrade from the old style. Has anyone else got this style fan?? Did you have any issues with it?
3849ca59b87384ae887dc836efe51718.jpg
bb2979431315181b8b4f4b98ec319428.jpg