New chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trapper89

Oct 13, 2016
pennsylvania
I'm getting a new chimney built for my woodstove and the contractor suggested a masonry chimney with stainless pipe and then pack insulation between the pipe and chimney block. I've never heard of this type of set up what's everyones opinion vs the regular clay liner inside the block? Thank you

I'm getting a new chimney built for my woodstove and the contractor suggested a masonry chimney with stainless pipe and then pack insulation between the pipe and chimney block. I've never heard of this type of set up what's everyones opinion vs the regular clay liner inside the block? Thank you
Insulated stainless is far superior in every way to clay tile. There are also prefab stainless chimneys which are a good option. They perform very well and give you more placement options because you can run straight up off the stove and out the roof

Insulated stainless is far superior in every way to clay tile. There are also prefab stainless chimneys which are a good option. They perform very well and give you more placement options because you can run straight up off the stove and out the roof

Thanks for the reply. Will the insulation that goes between the block and pipe ever settle or are there any problems down the road I can expect with that set up?

Thanks for the reply. Will the insulation that goes between the block and pipe ever settle or are there any problems down the road I can expect with that set up?
Not if they use the right stuff and install it correctly. It isnt just stuffed in there at all.

I had our chimney for my shop rebuilt a few years ago and that's how it was done. I dismantled the old chimney and dug out the footer since it was cracked, too shallow and thin, and poured a new footer. Mason took it from there. It's a pretty standard procedure around here. Curt