New Condar cat probe seems spot on.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
According to the instructions it says engage the combustor by closing the bypass damper when the cat probe reaches 500 degrees.
Then watch the thermometer from two to five minutes to to see if the combustor activates.
Well at 500 degrees, I viewed the combustor and it showed no signs of activation , however within a minute after engaging the bypass damper it began showing the orange red glow , the probe thermometer then steadily rose to 700, and then continued to peak upwards of 1500 to 1700 degrees.
All in all I'm happy at what I'm seeing . It doesn't take more than about 15 minutes or so to achieve this light off temperature.
I've determined 500 degrees is what I'll stick with .

Last edited:
My Dutchwest instructions recommends switching at 500 degrees. That always worked well for me right up until my latest combustor died. I ditched the ceramic for the steel combustor the last time and I’m totally dissatisfied with it. It was junk out of the box, it never got as hot as the ceramic one and it was dead in 2 seasons.

According to the instructions it says engage the combustor by closing the bypass damper when the cat probe reaches 500 degrees.
Then watch the thermometer from two to five minutes to to see if the combustor activates.
Well at 500 degrees, I viewed the combustor and it showed no signs of activation , however within a minute after engaging the bypass damper it began showing the orange red glow , the probe thermometer then steadily rose to 700, and then continued to peak upwards of 1500 to 1700 degrees.
All in all I'm happy at what I'm seeing . It doesn't take more than about 15 minutes or so to achieve this light off temperature.
I've determined 500 degrees is what I'll stick with .

Interesting; there is a discussion elsewhere with our friend from Fairbanks claiming it's not possible to light off below 20 mins (and keeping flue temps below 1000).

Did you measure your flue temp?