New construction install and stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I heat from our finished basement as well and wouldn't want it any other way.

It's a long way though from his basement, to his second story rooms.

And all through one doorway leading to the basement. It looks like the door would remain closed most of the time. We have an open stairwell leading to the upstairs rooms, and they heat fairly well with the stove on the first floor. But we also have an enclosed basement stairwell with a door. Heating from the basement would be a problem. It kind of depends on where the main living areas are. Heat the space you want to occupy. The radiant heat is a factor, and a draw for friends and family to be near. The focal point is also a factor, with a line of site from the major living areas, kitchen, dining, living room, stairwell, balcony. If heating from the basement, then all of that would be a consideration.

Last edited:
Our plans are modified from this stock plan and the stairwells, up and down, will be open. We’re already busting the budget with extra air sealing, insulation, and materials so we likely can’t swing a wood stove on the main and basement floors. Basement placement has its practical advantages regarding opening up the limited living space and keeping the wood mess downstairs in the basement, but I think most of our time will be on the main floor. It has been my understanding that you want to heat where you are as much as possible.

With all due respect Reverend, a 2 story house in PA is the same as a 2 story house in Texas.... Wait! You may have something here. I forgot about everything being bigger in Texas. Anyway, we only have a 32 inch basement door at the top of the steps too and we heat just fine. I think they key is that one not have a drop or finish ceiling and/or insulation between the basement and first floor. Whether one decides to go that route as opposed to putting it on the first floor is personal preference.

There is no way in heck I could hope to heat our two storey house with a stove in the basement. I like it a little bit cooler up there for sleeping, but not that much cooler. I can crank our baseboard up on floor 1 and it will still be chilly on floor 2.

The house in question is a lot more open than ours - but still wouldn't want to rely on it.

TN Your design is basically the same as my cabin I designed and built. The cathedral ceiling makes the wood stove heat less overpowering, due to the large open floor plan. As best I could I designed for the stove heat. We heat no matter how cold the temp is with only the stove. The back of the house wall is 28'. Going out to the deck has a single slider in the middle. That allowed us more wall space and we put the stove in the corner. The chimney is a straight up out the roof. I did a side 4' deck / porch with a roof, 5/12 that intersects the main roof, 12/12 above where the chimney comes out. That allows me to stand on the roof and do a top down cleaning. Cleaning requires ladders, but it's doable. The chimney does stick up 8 ft or more above the roof, but it is at the back of the house. This is a woods cabin setting. The chimney maybe function over form, but it looks fine to me.

I agree the stove should to be where you live. Some reasons, a great focal point, the radiant heats the bones, monitoring and loading the stove without climbing stairs.

If you have questions shoot me a private message.

Last edited:
We visited our local dealer yesterday and he provided some good thoughts and advice. We’ll be keeping the wood stove in the corner on the low wall. The dealer wasn’t bothered at all by it and gave some construction tips for construction and for cleaning in the future.

Also, they carry many of the top brands, except Pacific Energy, and is steering us strongly toward Lopi.