New converd from Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz_nh

Nov 23, 2011
Central NH
Hi All,

Just converted this year from my old Fisher Wood Stove to a Quadrafire Mt Vernon (non Insert) . Live in Central NH, 2300 SF of an 1850 farmhouse.

Still learning the ropes, not sure of the different pellet types. Know hardwoord, premium is the way to go, but there are so many different ash levels on all the brands, dont know what the best to use is.

Also still trying to find the right burn settings.... temp, fan speed, flame height etc.

So, I think this is going to be better than the old Wood stove and the 6-8 cords of wood I burned a year.

Welcome to the family Jazz. I can't give any advice about your stove settings,but I'm sure that fellow Mt Vernon owners will chime in. As far as pellets go you will hear this over and over again get a few bags of as many different brands as you can and see what works for YOU. I think that you will find that the pellet heat is different from wood stove heat more steady not the peaks and valleys. I burn both can't give up the wood but really love the pellets. So enjoy your stove, experiment have fun ,and you are in the right place to get some great down to earth info from some real people.

The Mt. Vernon is the "Lincoln" Oh the stove world. Awesom choice. I have one in my house.

Eric

Hi Jazz

You will like burning pellets, the first year is a learning experience. Where are you located in central NH, I am in Littleton.

Tom C.

Jazz_nh said:
Hi All,

Just converted this year from my old Fisher Wood Stove to a Quadrafire Mt Vernon (non Insert) . Live in Central NH, 2300 SF of an 1850 farmhouse.

Still learning the ropes, not sure of the different pellet types. Know hardwood, premium is the way to go, but there are so many different ash levels on all the brands, dont know what the best to use is.

Also still trying to find the right burn settings.... temp, fan speed, flame height etc.

So, I think this is going to be better than the old Wood stove and the 6-8 cords of wood I burned a year.

Welcome Jazz,

I mean no harm, But definetly have a question for you. Why do you say Hardwood is the way to go?

Pretty much all pellets are premium, Although there are some supers and ultra's out there. Heck I even seen a platinum. I have only seen one standard grade pellet available to the public and its not available to the New England area. If your looking for the lower ash contents(cleaner pellets) Check out the super premiums. BTU content(heat) is generally higher as well.

Glad you joined us and there are a good few that own the Mt V that can help you on what settings to use and how to use them. I am just a pellet head and can help with most pellet questions. Pretty much burned about all there is out there.

Enjoy the new stove and stay warm! ;-)

Welcome to the forum Jazz....glad you got out of the "dark side" of wood burning...LOL.

As for pellet choices, the easiest way we can help you out is for you to give us an idea of what pellets you have available locally. There are some well known, very consistent pellets (heat and ash wise), but there are also some that may not be the hottest burning, but "will do" during the warmer fall & early spring months ("shoulder seasons").

Give us a list of what you can get & prices. And never commit to a large quantity (ton(s)) untill you've test burned about 2-3 bags of them.

Oh, and BTW, on the pellet forum we have a saying about new stove installs....if you don't post a pic, it never really happened! :)

j-takeman said:
Jazz_nh said:
Hi All,

Still learning the ropes, not sure of the different pellet types. Know hardwood, premium is the way to go, but there are so many different ash levels on all the brands, dont know what the best to use is.

Welcome Jazz,

I mean no harm, But definetly have a question for you. Why do you say Hardwood is the way to go?

Pretty much all pellets are premium, Although there are some supers and ultra's out there. Heck I even seen a platinum. I have only seen one standard grade pellet available to the public and its not available to the New England area. If your looking for the lower ash contents(cleaner pellets) Check out the super premiums. BTU content(heat) is generally higher as well.

Glad you joined us and there are a good few that own the Mt V that can help you on what settings to use and how to use them. I am just a pellet head and can help with most pellet questions. Pretty much burned about all there is out there.

Im so new to the pellet world. I am learning that they are all hardwood now. But have read on other sites to not burn softwood. But havent found a "softwood" pellet out there. Your right..... all pellets I have found seem to be all "Premium".

The dealer I bought the stove from told me I can burn any premium pellet. But notice the various ash content ratings, BTU output... etc. confusing.

imacman said:
Welcome to the forum Jazz....glad you got out of the "dark side" of wood burning...LOL.

As for pellet choices, the easiest way we can help you out is for you to give us an idea of what pellets you have available locally. There are some well known, very consistent pellets (heat and ash wise), but there are also some that may not be the hottest burning, but "will do" during the warmer fall & early spring months ("shoulder seasons").

Give us a list of what you can get & prices. And never commit to a large quantity (ton(s)) untill you've test burned about 2-3 bags of them.

Oh, and BTW, on the pellet forum we have a saying about new stove installs....if you don't post a pic, it never really happened! :)

In my area, all the local stores selling pellets seems to be carrying only New England Pellet brand. So this is what I am burning right now. I bought 1 ton for 269.00 .
Available to me too is through woodpellets.com. One of my co workers burns the Cleanfire Pacific. More expensive than what I have now, but has a lower ash content and higher BTU. My co worker ( who is also a newbie) says they have heard they burn hotter.

Ill take and post a photo to share.

silverfox103 said:
Hi Jazz

You will like burning pellets, the first year is a learning experience. Where are you located in central NH, I am in Littleton.

Tom C.

Hi Tom,

Im in Sutton NH, Sunapee region.

my Mt Vernon. Installed into existing masonry chimney where Fisher wood stove was.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_14-51-18_185-1.jpg
    2011-11-18_14-51-18_185-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 190
Unlike woodstoves, a Softwood pellet can be a good thing. Many different softwood brands. Tend to be a hotter pellet and have less ash. I have no experience as there are none in my area. The closest I have is a "blend" of Hardwood and Softwood.

Dont get hooked on the " Premium" thing. Many pellet Manufacturers can pass the PFI standards to meet the Premium grade pellet. But once you start burning, find some Infernos and tell me how Premium they are.....

Welcome to the Forums. You will soon find out how addictive pellet burning and pellet buying can be!!!

Oh.... Beautiful stove... Lots of AE users here. You are in good company!

Nice looking stove...Why does the pipe go up at an angle??

Newbe here too...I've learned a lot in my short time on this forum!!! Ask a question and you will get an answer, probably several, then the arguing starts!! :-/

Eatonpcat said:
Nice looking stove...Why does the pipe go up at an angle??

Newbe here too...I've learned a lot in my short time on this forum!!! Ask a question and you will get an answer, probably several, then the arguing starts!! :-/

The pipe goes up on an angle because the thimble was not on center. Actually worked out great having it at an angle, makes access to the clean-out easier now that it is at an angle.

Actually, the bricks you can see are not the bricks for the chimney. Former owners of my house seem to have built a false wall in front of the existing chimney. Thats part of the reason why the thimble is not on center.

Eventually, we will take that all down and build a better looking front there. ..... after we recover from buying the Mt Vernon.... lol

Jazz_nh said:
j-takeman said:
Jazz_nh said:
Hi All,

Welcome Jazz,

Im so new to the pellet world. I am learning that they are all hardwood now. But have read on other sites to not burn softwood. But havent found a "softwood" pellet out there. Your right..... all pellets I have found seem to be all "Premium".

The dealer I bought the stove from told me I can burn any premium pellet. But notice the various ash content ratings, BTU output... etc. confusing.

IMHO, The hardwood myth has been busted. Here in New England we have some hardheads that think like the wood stove users. Hardwood only is BS and I am sure some others will chime in. Some of the cleanest/hottest pellets I have burned are softwoods. Softwoods are definitely worth at least a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.