New electrical Energy monitor Sense.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Available for pre-order now. It claims it uses an algorithm to actually detect and identify each electrical device when it runs.

So they are claiming it can pickup how long your fridge, tv, lights etc run.

I have an effergy whole house energy monitor but this looks pretty neat for $199 and I like the smartphone app function. sense.jpg

• Is this for real?

Yes! We really can detect different electrical devices in your home. Once installed, Sense will be able to find some devices in a matter of a day or two. Certain devices will take longer until we have enough data to reliably detect them. Other devices we are still developing algorithms in order to be able to detect.

• Can Sense detect all devices?
    Not everything. We're able to identify many electrical devices in typical homes and continue to expand our device detection abilities. As we get data from more and more homes, the performance and coverage of our device detection will improve.

• Do I need to “train” Sense?
    No, you don’t need to train Sense. Sense is able to identify common appliances (refrigerators, washing machines, etc.) on its own. It recognizes other devices, but may not be able to identify them — you can name these once they are detected. We're also developing a "Teach Me" feature that allows you to give an example of devices you'd like Sense to recognize.

I have a feeling this won't end up working as well as they claim. With only one current sensor at the panel, it's going to have a hard time telling if you turned the lights on in your upstairs or downstairs bathroom, etc. It might properly catch things like your water heater vs your dryer, but I'd want to see it work before I believed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.