New exterior wall chimney with an offset?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you go the elbow (out and up) route, make sure you go tall enough, see my post above.

I am curious about this, your HO insurance company has specific rules that require all chimneys to be enclosed? Are you in an area with higher risk of wild fire or wind issues? I am just curious as to why they would have specific requirements about it.
Not my HO insurance per say. I don't know the details to this policy.

I am at 1500ft in elevation, give or take. I am almost at the very top of the hills in my area. We can experience heavy wind gusts.
I am sure this is a major factor. Insurance co allows wood furnaces but not WS too ........ supposedly. :rolleyes:

I

time for a new insurance co. most of these co. do not know squat when talking on phone they just quote what ever might be in a manual. heck even the inspectors they send out are woefully under educated. (personal experience over a lot of years) sometimes its not the ins.co per say but their underwriter which for the most part are even more clueless.