New Fan: Wiring?? - Grizzly 2LEX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SeanBlue22

Sep 12, 2021
VA
Hey folks. I have an old Grizzly 2LEX wood stove insert. Just bought a replacement fan (arrived today), so brand spankin' new. Visible in photo on left. Also n the photo, I can confirm the black and white wires coming from the fireplace insert (right side) light up my electrical tester. Black wire is hot.

When I hook up all wires to the fan, however, nothing happens. Shouldn't it be that easy? If I just hook up black-to-black and white-to-white . . . nothing happens either. Nothing happens either when I change the fan settings to low, medium, or high. The toggle switch on the insert doesn't change anything either. Top setting is "Thermostat" and bottom is "Manual."

I'm just "Bubba the Homeowner" . . . not a master electrician . . . and truly baffled on this one. Any help deeply appreciated.

20220121_135434.jpg

Does the manual show a wiring schematic? Did a wiring diagram come with the fan motor? If so, post it here.

Does the manual show a wiring schematic? Did a wiring diagram come with the fan motor? If so, post it here.
EDITED w/ NEW BULLET 5:10PM 1/21

Ok . . . first . . . can't tell y'all how much I appreciate just your offering to help. Thank you. New things I can tell you:
  • Plugging the white / black into a standard outlet fires up the fan as expected. Fan works. Confirmed.
  • Wiring seems to be standard fan speed where red=low; blue= medium; and black=high. When fan switch is on low, touching my tester from red-to-white lights up; if on medium, blue-to-white lights up; if on high, black-to-white lights up.
  • No wiring diagram per se, but attaching everything I gots as photos
  • Starting to wonder if it could be a low voltage issue (?) I mean if a standard outlet is firing up the fan, I'm wondering if it's just not getting enough juice from this power source for some reason.
  • Just realizing that wiring coming out of hearth is aluminum . . . fan wiring is copper . . . but not sure that should matter since touching the aluminum black-to-white was still lighting up my tester.

20220121_164006.jpg 20220121_163935.jpg 20220121_164527.jpg 20220121_164519.jpg 20220121_164504.jpg 20220121_164042.jpg 20220121_164055.jpg 20220121_165615.jpg 20220121_170731.jpg 20220121_170501.jpg

Last edited:
I would expect the fan to come on when set to manual, but not when in the auto position. If properly wired and it fails to come on then I either the auto/man/off switch is bad or the speed selector switch is bad. When in auto position the stove needs to get hot enough to close the thermostatic snap switch before the fan will come on but the manual position should bypass the snap switch.

Thanks begreen. Yeah, it's in the "auto" position and still not firing up. And I've confirmed power is traveling through the red, blue, and black wire, depending on speed setting. So I guess I'm in the market for a new auto/man/off switch + speed selector if you have any ideas.

Hey folks --

If anyone is still following this thread, I made a crazy-interesting discovery . . . but still not sure how to solve it.

Today, I connected the black (hot) wire to the fan. After I did this, the white wire from the fan accidentally contacted the metal apron of the hearth . . . AND THE FAN STARTED WORKING . . .

For some reason, connecting white-to-white isn't completing the circuit. The hearth itself is somehow becoming part of the circuit (which is itself concerning) . . .

Switch.jpg