New field stone hearth built Isle Royale soon to come !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMSrusty24

Feb 2, 2014
MN
Hey guys new to the forum! We're building a house and me and my dad just finished our hearth for our wood stove and I think it turned out pretty well! Can't wait to get my isle royale setting on that baby !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 275
Do I spy a dumb waiter? If so, I like it!

Do I spy a dumb waiter? If so, I like it!
Hey now, that's not nice to say. The people in the food industry work hard for their pay.:p

Actually, from that PIC I too though teat was a mini-manual-elevator. Would be cool right there by the stove!

Nice work.
Will you have enough clearance to combustible wood at window?
Looks like a heck of a large volume of space....ceiling fan part of the project?

Nice work.
Will you have enough clearance to combustible wood at window?
Looks like a heck of a large volume of space....ceiling fan part of the project?

Yeah clearances are good the depth perception is hard to gauge in the pic but I've got plenty of room. Got a 62 inch ceiling fan up ready to rock too. With the furnace just circulating air it should hear the house no problem.

With the furnace just circulating air it should hear the house no problem.
From what I've read here, that usually doesn't work well; The duct work soaks up the heat. You might be able to move some air with fans on the floor, blowing cool air back to the stove. If the floor plan is very open, it might be pretty easy to do.

From what I've read here, that usually doesn't work well; The duct work soaks up the heat. You might be able to move some air with fans on the floor, blowing cool air back to the stove. If the floor plan is very open, it might be pretty easy to do.

Yeah It'll be a new experience for me so I'll have to see what works. But we have a very open floor plan the upstairs is all loft so it'll be nice and toasty up there!

With the furnace just circulating air it should hear the house no problem.
I've seen many reports of folks trying this here, and have come to some conclusions:

1. If your air handler (furnace) is in a cool basement or unheated attic, this will be a complete fail.
2. If your air handler is located within the heated space, but you have insulated ductwork in cold space, you will have some limited success.
3. If your air handler and all ductwork is in the heated space, you may have good fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.