New fireplace owner, slight backdraft issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sauerkraut

Oct 19, 2020
Menomonee falls
Hello all,
I closed on my house with this giant bugger last week, and immediately had the local chimney cleaners come out to give it a cleaning and a once-over. They cleaned it out, said she was good to go and left.

So I started a fire today, and have been having a bit of a backdraft issue. There was smoke on the rock façade above the fireplace, so I'm guessing this may be par for the course, but I'm hoping i can put the kebash on it. After putting around these forums, I read the(if you're new to burning" section, and saw the recommendation about cracking a window, so I opened a sliding door ajar, which alleviated a lot of the issue, but there's still a puff or two every now and then and a definite smoky smell.

The fireplace is 68" wide, 43" tall. However the actual wood burning area is only 39" wide. It has dual dampers totaling 5' and they're both open. It's a funky shape, and I'm sure that's working against me.... Any tips or tricks? I'd love to button up the house and burn full-tilt without having to crack open a door and loose all my heat. I'm guessing the rotisserie opening is working against me, but not certain.
it's 67F in the house, 34F outside.

Any Ideas?

And thanks in advance!

IMG_20201019_205314.jpg

Last edited:
Could just be a poorly designed and implemented fireplace. This is not uncommon. The large opening can be working against you.

Architect and first owner were huge Frank Lloyd Wright admirers, and it shows. Definitely feels like functionality was sacrificed for aesthetics in places, why should the fireplace be any different :rolleyes:

I'm guessing a chimney extracting fan is a pretty bullet proof solution to small backdraft issues? I'll give the local chimney guys a call tomorrow.

Architect and first owner were huge Frank Lloyd Wright admirers, and it shows. Definitely feels like functionality was sacrificed for aesthetics in places, why should the fireplace be any different :rolleyes:

I'm guessing a chimney extracting fan is a pretty bullet proof solution to small backdraft issues? I'll give the local chimney guys a call tomorrow.
They cost a whole lot are noisy and take allot of maintenance. I would consider a stove sitting in there first

Reactions: Sailrmike