New Firewood Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't mind the exercise one bit. But as I find myself getting older, I can't do strenuous repetitive physical tasks such as splitting and stacking wood day after day like I could ten years ago. Sitting at a computer all day for my job doesn't help much either.

I hear ya. I'm 47 and also sit at a computer all day. I definitely don't have the ambition or stamina I used to, but once I get out there I'm usually good. I like the cutting/bucking and hauling it back. It's the splitting/stacking I don't really care for. When it comes time for splitting/stacking, once the snow is gone, I do that 6-8 hours a day just on weekends until I'm done. The problem is the more I cut/haul, the more I have to split/stack. ;lol

I hear ya. I'm 47 and also sit at a computer all day. I definitely don't have the ambition or stamina I used to, but once I get out there I'm usually good. I like the cutting/bucking and hauling it back. It's the splitting/stacking I don't really care for. When it comes time for splitting/stacking, once the snow is gone, I do that 6-8 hours a day just on weekends until I'm done. The problem is the more I cut/haul, the more I have to split/stack. ;lol
I'm a few years behind you in the age department. When I was a kid my dad would always tell me "work smart, not hard". As I get older I definitely see where he was going at with that.

I'm not a fan of splitting either. Bought myself a new DHT 27 ton splitter for X-Mas and had the wife out there with me helping me split a few days ago. I'm glad I got the large splitting table, no more putting wood on ground after I split it the first time. A couple times during the winter I'll hire my buddies son to help me process wood too. Unlike most kids these days, he isn't afraid to work. I can split wood for around 6 hours or so and then my back is done for the day.

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Slocum
I can get all of the pallets I want for free so my initial thought was to use pallets. I however couldn't think of a way to build a "cage" around the pallet that would be sturdy enough to hold the wood for transport between the woods and my house
Some pretty minor modifications to this would allow transport with the FEL
669ebfd25f333b913cb0d88a564ebb1e.jpg

Reactions: Slocum
Reactions: Slocum
I'm a few years behind you in the age department. When I was a kid my dad would always tell me "work smart, not hard". As I get older I definitely see where he was going at with that.

I'm not a fan of splitting either. Bought myself a new DHT 27 ton splitter for X-Mas and had the wife out there with me helping me split a few days ago. I'm glad I got the large splitting table, no more putting wood on ground after I split it the first time. A couple times during the winter I'll hire my buddies son to help me process wood too. Unlike most kids these days, he isn't afraid to work. I can split wood for around 6 hours or so and then my back is done for the day.

I have a Speeco splitter and also installed the optional log catcher after I got it. Really comes in handy.
http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=95&prod=143

I have a 12yo nephew who absolutely loves to cut/split wood and comes down by us for a weekend in April where we work pretty much from sun up to sun down both Sat and Sun. A couple years ago he didn't even want to take a "full lunch break". He wanted me to go pre-heat the oven, come back outside to continue working, then go back inside to put the pizza in the oven. He only wanted to come in and eat when the food was ready. LOL