New/first stove - Supreme Novo 18

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trailz

Nov 1, 2020
Illinois
My wife and I treated ourselves to a wonderfully warm Christmas present.
I'll be adding a Condar thermometer soon as I find it somewhat frustrating not knowing how hot the stove is getting.
We're keeping the glass clean with Rutland glass cleaner (works great).
Hearth pad is from efireplace store. I wanted to keep it as minimal as possible.
Happy Holidays all!

untitled-18.jpguntitled-1.jpguntitled-19.jpg

That looks great. I like the clean lines of that stove. How large of an area is it heating? Please keep us posted on how the stove works out for you and what it's like to run during mild weather vs really cold weather.

As for the room, our LR is 23 x 12. Once the stove gets going (maybe 1.5 hours into a fire) the room warms up pretty well. So far during both a 30degree and 15 degree evening I haven't noticed a difference in how it runs. Honestly, I'm still learning and haven't gotten a baseline for how the stove behaves. It sure seems simple and easy to work with.

Awesome gift! I'm sure you'll be enjoying it for many years and holidays to come! It looks great! If you have time for a few q's...
  • How would you describe the fan sound? Do you tune it out, or is it pretty noticeable?
  • How long are fires burning for, average?
  • Happy with it???

Awesome gift! I'm sure you'll be enjoying it for many years and holidays to come! It looks great! If you have time for a few q's...
  • How would you describe the fan sound? Do you tune it out, or is it pretty noticeable?
  • How long are fires burning for, average?
  • Happy with it???
My observations are skewed, as we LOVE this stove.

The fan is variable speed and we set it on low so we don't really hear it (unless the house is dead quiet). When on high, it can clearly be heard and disrupts our Netflix experience

When we load it with 3 layers of logs, we can typically get 2-3 hours of flaming burn time -- the hot coals last a lot longer. The two manual controls on the front allow good control of airflow.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. Thanks

Reactions: 2zeroseven
My observations are skewed, as we LOVE this stove.

The fan is variable speed and we set it on low so we don't really hear it (unless the house is dead quiet). When on high, it can clearly be heard and disrupts our Netflix experience

When we load it with 3 layers of logs, we can typically get 2-3 hours of flaming burn time -- the hot coals last a lot longer. The two manual controls on the front allow good control of airflow.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me! You get to be the person to try to twist my arm! I love the stove... but am intimidated by the price==c!!!
By chance did you select between the novo 18 and 24, or did you know the 18 was the right size for you? Be well, thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me! You get to be the person to try to twist my arm! I love the stove... but am intimidated by the price==c!!!
By chance did you select between the novo 18 and 24, or did you know the 18 was the right size for you? Be well, thanks.

Our local fireplace store had the Novo 24 in their showroom, which is how we learned about the modern styling of the novo. Given our house is small (comparatively) we felt the 24 was too big for the room we where planning a stove for. The 18 is also a little large for our space, but not so much that it's bothersome.

My wife and I treated ourselves to a wonderfully warm Christmas present.
I'll be adding a Condar thermometer soon as I find it somewhat frustrating not knowing how hot the stove is getting.
We're keeping the glass clean with Rutland glass cleaner (works great).
Hearth pad is from efireplace store. I wanted to keep it as minimal as possible.
Happy Holidays all!

View attachment 270303View attachment 270304View attachment 270305
Hello, we bought the Novo 18 during the summer and I have a few questions. Does the damper key that slides right to left goes all the way to the left (+ side), mine stops at about 3/4 of the way. I find it takes quite a long time to get the temperature above the 400 mark even if I have seasoned hard wood (2 yrs) using the top down method. I agree with you it is a beautiful stove and the window is great although gets dirty quite fast. And the fan that comes with the stove works amazingly well. I would have like the step at the front of the firebox to be higher to prevent embers from rolling out when opening the door to add a log or two. As for burning time, it give us a good 3-4 hours before all turn to embers. Please let me know, thank you

That looks great. I like the clean lines of that stove. How large of an area is it heating? Please keep us posted on how the stove works out for you and what it's like to run during mild weather vs really cold weather.
I recently purchased this stove, which was selected by our client. I am very disappointed with it. The firebox is impressive. However, the rest of the design is seriously deficient in terms of heating efficiency.

The most glaring problem is with the “fresh air kit”. The brochure states, “The fresh air system is an optional kit intended to bring combustion air into the stove from an exterior source. A careful choice of words, “into the stove”, while true, nevertheless results in misleading advertising.

This deceptively implies that, with this kit, combustion air is drawn directly from the exterior of the house into the firebox. This would be the most efficient configuration if it were true. But, it is not true.

The “fresh air kit” simply routes cold air into the outer enclosure of the stove, allowing the cold exterior air to dump on the floor when the stove is idle, and to just mix with circulated air when it is working. A simple hole in the wall would perform the same ineffective function.

The second problem is with the blower. An effective design would pull air only from outside the stove and then direct it all around the firebox to exit from the front. The blower in this unit does not do that. It is not ducted in any manner. It is simply an open squirrel cage in the back of the stove that creates some turbulence, mixing room air with air from the fresh air kit, and expelling some of the mix out the front of the stove.

For $4,000, I expect better engineering and design. You can easily do much better. This stove was selected by a client. The defects have been explained to the client, but they have chosen to keep it, due to time constraints on completing their home. If I had ordered it for myself, I would return it immediately.

Reactions: Sunkneedays