New guy here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theswampthing

Aug 25, 2013
Northeastern PA
Hi everyone. I joined little while ago and decided to say hello. I finally got a stove this year to hopefully supplement this ridiculous heating oil a bit. I bought a Vogelzang Defender(I know, but its an EPA and all I could afford), and plan on installing it after I get back from my hunting trip at the end of September. Starting to panic a bit, as its already been into the high 30's a few times and I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks. Not to mention I have to service my boiler. You'd think I'd know by now how quickly winter comes around. Haha

Anyway, I wanted to say that you have a great site here, and its been a big help. Thanks for having me!

I'm in NEPA as well and know that winter comes earlier than most think for this region.

If you have good well seasoned wood ready, and the stove is installed to specs, then you will be in for a warm and happy winter.

Enjoy! Enjoy! (Manny Gordon)

pen

Welcome. Hunt instead of install a stove. Can't imagine it. ;lol Come back when you get to installing it. Folks here can help ya stay warm and not burn the joint down.

PS: Nothing to be bashful about with your stove choice. The bad rap VZ has/had is/was for some stoves that ain't that one.

Hi Pen! I'll be raiding dad's wood pile this fall, and cutting and splitting for the upcoming years. I'll be doing a liner and, and building a slate hearth pad this week, all to spec. The last thing I want is a fire.

Welcome! Don't worry about your install, there are plenty of amazing experts here that can get you through anything you come across (not me of course, I'm far from an expert) and will be super kind and honest about it too. We have all been new, I'm on season 2 myself and there are great folks here to support you! Safe hunting, we will see you when
you get back!

Thanks Bart! I'll be back with pics. The room the stove is going in will be painted, have new laminate laid down, and stove installed, hopefully in a couple days. All kinds of fun:)

Thanks, Mistress! The install shouldn't be a big project, but since everything else turns into one, ill be planning for that. The only pain is going to be the chimney liner. My roof is a very steep pitch so, I'm gonna have to use roof jacks, tie off, and all that. I hope to have all the prep work finished so all I have to do when I get back is put the liner and hook up the stove. I'm glad to have the forum for advise...I'm sure ill run into a snag.

Last edited:
Welcome, the slate sounds good,I also did a hearth with some .Good luck with the install and enjoy this great site.

Welcome to the forum . . . I went with slate for my hearth. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.