New guy needs help, tell me what Ive got

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

napier_1

Oct 29, 2014
NC
This thing has been sitting in the chimney of an unused room since we got the house. Weve moved some things around now and want to use this room, and are curious about trying this out. Only problem is I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I've only got experience with one wood stove and it is one that stands in front of the chimney and vents up through a hole in the wall.

I opened this thing up last night as it's full of dirt/birds nests (as you can see on the floor in front of it). Didnt have time to mess with it last night but ill get some more pics when its cleaned out. Im just hoping someone can give me some info on it, who made it, what steps do i need to take to put it into operation, etc...

There is also a hole in the chimney directly above this that looks like there was a stove vented through it at one time. Ill try to get a pic of this as well.

If anyone can give me any info or help on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
5634986348.jpg

Hate to tell you, but that isn't a wood stove, it is a clean out chamber for the fireplace.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Sounds like you have a spot to put a stove if you want to burn.

that is NOT where you would hook up a stove. Look higher up on the wall, is there a round hole, kinda lined up with that clean out? maybe 4-6' off the floor?

that is NOT where you would hook up a stove. Look higher up on the wall, is there a round hole, kinda lined up with that clean out? maybe 4-6' off the floor?

I have that in our cape house, in the basement. We have 3 cleanout doors and above one of them is a 8" terra cotta lined round hole. During one summer when I worked down there, I vented a portable AC into it. Would/should this outlet have its own chimney to the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.