New Guy, Old Question: Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChillyB

Oct 15, 2021
TN
Hello. I'm fixing up an 18x20 shop so inherited some characteristics that I may have done differently. I have a stove in one corner. The corner is built of wood studs covered with 1/4" cement board and real brick (not veneer) over that from floor to ceiling. Is this a noncombustible wall?

I'll have about 5.5" of clearance to the pipe. Figure on using double wall regardless. I'm in TN so will not be firing it hot and the loss of BTU from double-wall pipe will not be missed.

Thanks
ChillyB

Hello. I'm fixing up an 18x20 shop so inherited some characteristics that I may have done differently. I have a stove in one corner. The corner is built of wood studs covered with 1/4" cement board and real brick (not veneer) over that from floor to ceiling. Is this a noncombustible wall?

I'll have about 5.5" of clearance to the pipe. Figure on using double wall regardless. I'm in TN so will not be firing it hot and the loss of BTU from double-wall pipe will not be missed.

Thanks
ChillyB
Is that 5.5 to the brick?

Clearances are measured to the first combustible surface which would be the wood studs behind the cement board. If this is for the Vestal, it needs 36" clearances. This will be reduced 50% to 18" by the brick wall if it is a full brick thick.

Clearances are measured to the first combustible surface which would be the wood studs behind the cement board. If this is for the Vestal, it needs 36" clearances. This will be reduced 50% to 18" by the brick wall if it is a full brick thick.
And if I add a free-standing shield between the stove and the wall do I half that half?

If I hang a half-tube of metal around the stove pipè can I crowd the brick wall?

The NFPA 211 Standard is written for an approved heat shield to reduce clearance of 36 inches by 66% down to a minimum of 12 inches.

I believe the same 66% clearance reduction applies to single wall pipe using a correct heat shield from 18 inches down to 6.

Reactions: bholler