New Guy with a Draft Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

palskidoo

Feb 17, 2022
CT
Hello Everyone!
Let me give you a little background to my situation before I ask my question. I hope I am in the right place for this.

I have a Hot Blast 1500 wood furnace that had a hard life before I acquired it. She is missing all the controls except for the blower fan switch. So I run her like a simple wood stove. The stove pipe connection on the back is 6 in dia. The double wall stove pipe that was on installed on my house before I purchased it, is 8 in dia.
Currently my stove pipe is 6 in. coming out of the stove, runs about 5 ft to the wall, transitions to 8 in double wall insulated, goes thru the wall on the house horizontally, meets a T (bottom has a plug) then runs up to the top and exhausts.

I have a TERRIBLE down draft into the house that makes starting fires difficult.

So my question is, if I were take out the plug on the bottom of the T connection outside would that slow or stop the down draft from entering the back of the stove?

I was also thinking of running an additional length of 6in single wall pipe inside of my first length of 8in double wall insulated pipe(which passes thru the house wall) to the T connection as a possible means of improving the draft.

What do you guys think?

-thanks

Hello Everyone!
Let me give you a little background to my situation before I ask my question. I hope I am in the right place for this.

I have a Hot Blast 1500 wood furnace that had a hard life before I acquired it. She is missing all the controls except for the blower fan switch. So I run her like a simple wood stove. The stove pipe connection on the back is 6 in dia. The double wall stove pipe that was on installed on my house before I purchased it, is 8 in dia.
Currently my stove pipe is 6 in. coming out of the stove, runs about 5 ft to the wall, transitions to 8 in double wall insulated, goes thru the wall on the house horizontally, meets a T (bottom has a plug) then runs up to the top and exhausts.

I have a TERRIBLE down draft into the house that makes starting fires difficult.

So my question is, if I were take out the plug on the bottom of the T connection outside would that slow or stop the down draft from entering the back of the stove?

I was also thinking of running an additional length of 6in single wall pipe inside of my first length of 8in double wall insulated pipe(which passes thru the house wall) to the T connection as a possible means of improving the draft.

What do you guys think?

-thanks
Taking the tee cap off will eliminate all draft up or down. Is there a way to reduce the horizontal run? Have you tried opening a window or door near the stove?

How tall is your vertical part?
As bholler said, the horizontal run is affecting your draft, and decreasing its length is good. Increasing the vertical part helps too.
And if you can slightly angle up the (remaining) horizontal part, it'll help.
Opening up anything at the bottom of the vertical pipe will eliminate the pressure difference in this part of the pipe. As this is what creates the -normal, "sucking"- draft, it would result in essentially all smoke being exhausted into your home.