New guy with a new to me stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rodney Scott

Jun 22, 2017
Madison Ga
Hello everyone,
I'm Scott and while I'm not new to wood stove heat I did just buy a stove to go in my barn workshop and need some advice/help. Yesterday I answered a Craigslist ad for a $250 Buck stove and it was still available so I drove the 2 hours to get it. Turns out it is a model 91 that looks like the creosote was painted on the inside of the fire box. The guy I bought it from said he used it for a few years then pulled it because he didn't like it and it has set in his barn for a year. I'm guessing he didn't use it properly thus the creosote build up. Anyway, I want to pull the catalyst out to inspect/clean it. Any thing special to do when removing this?
Thanks,

Scott

Cat stoves will get some creosote buildup in the firebox though so it may be normal. It all depends on the severity of the buildup.