New house, need new stove. Quadrafire Discovery 3 or Absolute Steel Hybrid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I’m currently building my last house, a Nudura ICF house in SW Missouri, walls pour this week! Single story, 1650 sq ft, R49 attic insulation, 6” insulated concrete exterior walls, All electric. Our last house had an Absolute Steel Hybrid High Style stove. We had it two years and liked it. An absolute must is a high style Which I know limits our choices greatly.
While we did like the Woodstock stove, I’m not married too it and recently came across the Quadrafire Discovery III.
Its slightly taller and while not as cosmetically appealing to ME, I still like the look. I’d add some soapstone tiles on the side inserts for a personal touch that radiates.

According to the specs, the two stoves are very similar in size and performance With the discovery being slightly less expensive. A good sale could even the price.
What reviews I can find on Woodstock stoves all seem positive. I’ve even left a glowing review on here somewhere. Quadrafire is a mixed bag. I suspect the ACC has something to do with it as people may not understand how to work it. It seems rather straight forward to me. I mostly burn oak, red and white. I have a friend that has a tree service and I can sometimes get free firewood, but it could be pine, hickory, walnut, Birch, cedar, you name it. I don’t burn green wood, but it’s not always top shelf hard wood like oak. which makes me think that a non cat might be a better choice for the long term.

What I’m looking for is a tall style Toyota Camry of stoves. Nothing too fancy, reliable and basic for years to come without looking like a $300 Lowe’s clearance stove. I suspect a non cat stove would be the better choice for me long term, but wanted to see what the experts here had to say As I didn’t have my only cat stove long enough to form an opinion.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don’t burn green wood, but it’s not always top shelf hard wood like oak. which makes me think that a non cat might be a better choice for the long term.

Exactly the reason I prefer a cat stove that will happily digest lower btu wood varieties for typically much longer burns than a non-cat. SW Missouri (nice area by the way!) sounds like perfect Cat stove territory as well. Nice low and slow metered heat output from a cat stove in comparison to a more heat peaky non cat. My opinion only!

Exactly the reason I prefer a cat stove that will happily digest lower btu wood varieties for typically much longer burns than a non-cat. SW Missouri (nice area by the way!) sounds like perfect Cat stove territory as well. Nice low and slow metered heat output from a cat stove in comparison to a more heat peaky non cat. My opinion only!

thanks for the compliment, SW MO is a great place to be.

I kinda like the blast furnace approach. If Ive not got my windows open at least once in January, I’ve failed as a wood burner. Lol. I showed my wife the Quadrafire and she REALLY liked the wood storage underneath And the fact it’s 5” taller than the ASH.

does quadrafire make a good stove Quality wise? Comparable in quality to the Woodstock Soapstone company?

does quadrafire make a good stove Quality wise? Comparable in quality to the Woodstock Soapstone company?
The only Quad in my group is a insert that has been working fine for roughly 15 years. It does nothing for burn time comparably to the AS. Understandable. Hopefully a little research here will give you some idea on quality. Possibly others with Quad exp. will chime in.
On another note I'll be passing through and having BBQ Sat. night in Springfield Mo.! Always good eats.

Reactions: tlhfirelion
The only Quad in my group is a insert that has been working fine for roughly 15 years. It does nothing for burn time comparably to the AS. Understandable. Hopefully a little research here will give you some idea on quality. Possibly others with Quad exp. will chime in.
On another note I'll be passing through and having BBQ Sat. night in Springfield Mo.! Always good eats.
Thanks for your help and feedback! If you ever get the chance, get the burnt ends at City Butcher in Springfield. I’ve had BBQ all over the country and this is the second best (Best I’ve had owner died) I’ve ever had. No sauce needed, they stand alone.

I suggest stopping at bass pro as well moresnow if you have a chance. Wonders of wildlife is awesome. I agree on the cat stove for our winters here. It can get very cold here but most days of winter is a low in 30s to 20s. One day i will b upgrading lol. Curly q bbq is good as well. I will have to try city butcher never heard of it. tlhfirelion i dont have experience with these two stoves but from everything i have read about woodstock they make great stoves and are excellent on customer service....which is a must to me since you would have to order one. Quadrafire would be easier to get service i would think with dealers in springfield.

Thanks for your help and feedback! If you ever get the chance, get the burnt ends at City Butcher in Springfield. I’ve had BBQ all over the country and this is the second best (Best I’ve had owner died) I’ve ever had. No sauce needed, they stand alone.

I now have a mission:cool: Thanks

I suggest stopping at bass pro as well moresnow if you have a chance. Wonders of wildlife is awesome. I agree on the cat stove for our winters here. It can get very cold here but most days of winter is a low in 30s to 20s. One day i will b upgrading lol. Curly q bbq is good as well. I will have to try city butcher never heard of it. tlhfirelion i dont have experience with these two stoves but from everything i have read about woodstock they make great stoves and are excellent on customer service....which is a must to me since you would have to order one. Quadrafire would be easier to get service i would think with dealers in springfield.

I've been by there a dozen times. Never go in. May have to check it out if we get time. I actually like eating the burnt ends at the small BBQ joint just across the street to the east.