New insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfooch

Oct 28, 2013
CT
Hey guys, quick question. I just grabbed a new quadrafire 3100 insert for free from a guy down the street and I just need some professional opinions before I finish up the install. The fireplace I'm putting it in has a shared chimney with my furnace. 2 different clay lined flues. Up top I put a shared cap on about 3 years ago. My question is would it be ok to leave the large cap on and put the new liner through the plate but not make use of the cap that came with the kit?

The only issue I see is cleaning the cap, does the large cap have a screen? I ask because eventually every cap with a screen or shroud will start to clog and you dont want to effect the performance of the other appliance, also how hard or cumbersome is taking the big cap on and off to clean (sometimes twice a burn season depending on wood moisture / burn technique)

Yea it's about 12x24 or so. A pretty big cap with screen sides solid top. I can see cleaning being an issue long run, but as long as it's not against any codes or anything I could always switch it out after the winter and get 2 individual ones. I know it might just suck, but my main issue is not being against code while it is on that way

I dont believe there's any code on the books that would say otherwise, you just need to keep a eye on the cap and performance of the 2 appliances

It usually works fine. But occasionally you will get some smoke crossover