New install flashing preference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Hey,
Will be installing a fp30 before too long. The fella from the stove shop is coming out to have look, as it is a new home under construction. The fp30 will be set centered on a outside wall. My question is...which is better situation for roof flashing? Go straight up with the insulated chimney, which means a ridge type flashing? Or offset the chimney as it goes up with a couple 30* elbows and exit the roof a little down the rafter ? My guess is the ridge flashing may be a bit awkward?
Thanks for your advice
MM

Roof ridge, better draft because there no offsets, and probable will be taller, both of these help to get a better draft.

There is ridge flashing made by some companies.

Ridge without question just make sure the chimney you choose has a ridge flashing available for your pitch

I'm a big believer of having house plans with all construction details finalized before construction begins. Following this simple rule would avoid so much heartache created when things are changed/added verbally "on the fly".

You're right that it will be a less conventional looking flashing and I think therefor a little goofy looking. I would not add bends to avoid it though IF the manufacturer of your class A pipe makes the appropriate ridge flashing for your situation. Don't let the yahoo builder bang something into place that wasn't meant to be there.

Composition roofing? Ridge vent? Imagine how goofy that might look. You will see more of the flashing than usual since there is no roofing from above hanging over. Maybe look for photos of one installed. Performance of the ridge install is ideal.

What about adding a chase?

Ok thanks fellas, I thought about a chase, and that made we wonder how codes come into play? How far would the pipe/chimney need to be above the chase? So we are all clear. The pipe is all on the interior of house. If I recall the the supplier wants to use icc insulted pipe/chimney. Also so we are clear, I am the builder of the house, and have many conversations with myself often!! Been doing so for 23years. From floor to exiting the 9/12 roof line is aprox. 16'6"

Ok thanks fellas, I thought about a chase, and that made we wonder how codes come into play? How far would the pipe/chimney need to be above the chase? So we are all clear. The pipe is all on the interior of house. If I recall the the supplier wants to use icc insulted pipe/chimney. Also so we are clear, I am the builder of the house, and have many conversations with myself often!! Been doing so for 23years. From floor to exiting the 9/12 roof line is aprox. 16'6"

Ventis requires at least 6"of pipe extending beyond the chase cover.

A cupola as a chase would be cool.