New install..small amounts of smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 17, 2008
Bangor Maine
Just installed my Harman43 absolute. Stove starts nicely, no smoke from pipes and flame is good. After about 5 min or so of running I get a puff of smoke from the front vent that sets off the house smoke alarm. Then its fine for a bit then another puff later. Stove door and ash pan are tight, checked seals on stove pipe..and they seem tight.

Just installed my Harman43 absolute. Stove starts nicely, no smoke from pipes and flame is good. After about 5 min or so of running I get a puff of smoke from the front vent that sets off the house smoke alarm. Then its fine for a bit then another puff later. Stove door and ash pan are tight, checked seals on stove pipe..and they seem tight.

Sounds like a draft issue of some sort. Either the flue is obstructed or there is not enough draft to allow the smoke to easily vent to the outside.

My stove would pull small amounts of smoke through any place it could find, even through factory seams on the pipe. After I completely sealed every seam and rivet hole, the stove would choke out and die and fill the house with smoke. The fix was an outside air kit, after that it ran perfectly and still does. Never thought a 30 year old house could be so airtight.