New installation- appliance connection questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Just self-installed a new insert (Flame XTD 1.9-I from myfireplaceproducts.com) including a insulated flex liner in the old stone chimney. It was a challenge, and I'll come back with a full post with lots of details and pictures soon. I still need to compete the last step, fastening the appliance connector at the bottom of the liner to the insert. The appliance connector fits down in the stove socket all the way in the back toward the outside wall, but because the liner is not perfectly vertical, the front of the appliance connector doesn't seat at the front of the stove socket. It's only about 1/16 of an inch difference, so I'm not going to let perfect stand in the way of good enough. And I think that even the 15 degree offset appliance connector will be too much in the other direction (not to mention I'd rather not spend $60 just to find out).

My questions are: I need to buy three stainless screws to fasten the brackets on the top of the stove to the appliance connector and liner- what type and length of screws should I use? The sharp ends will be sticking out into the liner at the bottom and constantly in the flue gasses as they pass out to the top of the stove.

Also, I may not need to use anything to seal the joint between the appliance connector and the stove socket, but I'd like to. I tried Rutland Black Stove and Gasket Cement, but that failed immediately during the first fire with the expansion/contraction. One of my local fireplace stores recommended some Rutland Super Red 600 degree RTV Silicone Sealant, but I know that that part of the stove will go above 600 degrees. I already bought the tube, but will or won't use it based on what I hear here. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Usually they supply the screws with the plastic bag of L brackets. I would just get some 1" stainless self tappers to put in the top of the L bracket to screw into the appliance connector.

SBI makes a good stove, I think you will like that Flame XTD, I had the smaller version for a while.

The only thing I have found that will work half way decent with those high temps at the flue collar is Mill-pac, but it is expensive and still needs to be redone every year, if your draft is good I wouldn't bother with sealing it.

Reactions: bholler
What he said

Usually they supply the screws with the plastic bag of L brackets. I would just get some 1" stainless self tappers to put in the top of the L bracket to screw into the appliance connector.

SBI makes a good stove, I think you will like that Flame XTD, I had the smaller version for a while.

The only thing I have found that will work half way decent with those high temps at the flue collar is Mill-pac, but it is expensive and still needs to be redone every year, if your draft is good I wouldn't bother with sealing it.

Thanks Mellow- really appreciate your reply. Just got back with the stainless screws. The draft is very good with the 23 ft chimney and blanket insulated liner installed, so thanks to you, I won't worry about sealing it airtight. We had a week worth of fires with the appliance connector just friction fit before this crazy warm weather we are having in the NE arrived, and the connector backed out ever so slightly, so I'm screwing it down (I could see the gap because the cured Rutland stove and gasket cement that I had tried cracked and provided a reference). I agree with your point about the screws coming with, but only the three short ones that fasten the L brackets to the top of the stove were included, and they mention right in the manual that the ones to fasten to the liner are are not included!

Status
Not open for further replies.