New issue with Nashua stove, no draw, zero!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prolly can find 5 people driving on bald tires in the same neighborhood. It gets one from point a to b, for a while, but this doesn't make it right or safe.

Yup good point ....it's not right according to code but can work and if you take the time to inspect often you very much lesson the chance of s chimney fire. Ya know I've got a mower with a cracked deck a truck that drips oil on the manifold and an old suv with bald tires....that's no joke either.

Last edited:
Yup good point ....it's not right according to code but can work and if you take the time to inspect often you very much lesson the chance of s chimney fire.
What about a structure fire simply from heat transfer? And you do realize that a chimney fire can happen from a couple days buildup don't you? I understand people do it quite a bit but that does not make it safe. People also clean their chimneys by burning them out, run single wall through floors, run slammers ect ect all of which are very dangerous but they get away with it. Untill they dont anymore. I cant say when or if that will happen to you but I am not willing to take that chance

begreen and bholler, you're both wasting your breath. This man didn't come to these forums to learn anything, period.

As I said I am not recommending it and don't call me a fool. Great Grandpa? Try about 5 people in their 30s some of which live in town! It's more common than you think I'm afraid....does that make it up to code? No. Do I condone it? No. Can it work yup
And if this go array and you burn down your garage, cause determination will mean you will lose any insurance value on structure or contents...

What about a structure fire simply from heat transfer? And you do realize that a chimney fire can happen from a couple days buildup don't you? I understand people do it quite a bit but that does not make it safe. People also clean their chimneys by burning them out, run single wall through floors, run slammers ect ect all of which are very dangerous but they get away with it. Untill they dont anymore. I cant say when or if that will happen to you but I am not willing to take that chance
I've not seen enough to consider build up as a problem. Also none of my pipe has been hot enough to the touch to consider transfer to a fire. If that is what you mean? I wouldn't be running single wall through anything I do have the distance from combustibles.

begreen and bholler, you're both wasting your breath. This man didn't come to these forums to learn anything, period.
I think you were warned once about trolling me. I'm here to learn. Just because I give my setup and specifically state that it's not up to code.....does not mean I'm not here to learn. I am. Am I going to instantly stop burning? No. That doesn't mean I'm not aware of my risks and choosing to burn anyway. Just like driving z car with bald tires....I'm aware. If I saw heavy buildup in my pipes I would instantly stop.

I think you were warned once about trolling me.
As you were warned also ...

bholler has been in the industry a long time so I would respect what he says. Did you notice the date on begreen's avatar? I would suspect he's been heating his home with wood far longer... So if you are here to learn, don't blow off what they say.

The point was made that the outside pipes need to maintain a specific flue gas temperature to avoid creosote formation ... the reason for the insulated exterior pipe. The insulated pipe that you could have bought (instead of another length of uninsulated) would also help in maintaining draft. We all appreciate budget constraints but when it comes to safety of your family, home/garage, and your local fire fighters - blatant disregard of building codes is not acceptable.

One last thing ... woodstoves in Canada have to be 18" off the floor in a garage (WETT certification based on CSA). Not sure if they are allowed in the US so you likely have voided your homeowners insurance.

As you were warned also ...

bholler has been in the industry a long time so I would respect what he says. Did you notice the date on begreen's avatar? I would suspect he's been heating his home with wood far longer... So if you are here to learn, don't blow off what they say.

The point was made that the outside pipes need to maintain a specific flue gas temperature to avoid creosote formation ... the reason for the insulated exterior pipe. The insulated pipe that you could have bought (instead of another length of uninsulated) would also help in maintaining draft. We all appreciate budget constraints but when it comes to safety of your family, home/garage, and your local fire fighters - blatant disregard of building codes is not acceptable.

One last thing ... woodstoves in Canada have to be 18" off the floor in a garage (WETT certification based on CSA). Not sure if they are allowed in the US so you likely have voided your homeowners insurance.
Do you see me quoting him and addressing him negatively? I took the warning and obeyed it. I don't appreciate you standing up for him after he once again struggles to leave me alone.

I have already acknowledged the points you make and am well aware of them. In my area stoves are allowed in garages with no floor height required this is something I did ask about.

Again I do appreciate all the advice and warnings please don't act as if I do not.

This thread has played itself out. It's not helping anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.