New Jotul Oslo 500 Top Loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with fire

Attachments

• 0628001700 (WinCE).jpg
    0628001700 (WinCE).jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 796
That's better. Now at least it looks like a real stove. How did it burn? What's the side lever for, bypass?

Great pic Summit!

To bad these photos weren't leaked a little sooner, maybe a Jotul designer would have paid attention to our appearance concerns!
Glad to see Hearth.com is now the Engadget of new wood stove technology and upcoming models! If only someone would leak a peek of the new Woodstock stove...

BeGreen said:
That's better. Now at least it looks like a real stove. How did it burn? What's the side lever for, bypass?

yeah, the side lever operates the bypass for the baffle to let you top load. Burn was HOT, the amount of heat coming off it (with just the couple sticks inside you see in the pic) was incredible. Glass stayed clean, even though they had the thing going most of the day thru various stages of burn.
I think what people have to remember about this Jotul, is that its a stell box, brick lined. It has cast accents, but it is not meant to be the traditional Jotul stove look. They designed it for more simple, clean lines. Function follows form with this one. The benefit of this is the price for what you get. I have been hearing 2k for a stove that is larger than the castine (currently priced at 2k) but a hair smaller than the firelight (priced at 2600 in matte black).

Almost a hundred and sixty years making stoves and they still haven't realized that the door handle belongs on the right. Sigh... :lol:

cycloxer said:
It's interesting that the castings are made in Bethel, VT, the location of one of VT Castings' factories. I wonder if they are sub-ing them out? More here:

http://www.fireplacevillage.net/blog/index.php/2010/07/new-jotul-wood-stove/

Excellent link. It looks better in those pics. Still not totally "Jotul-esque".....but better looking than the average steel stove IMHO.

We've had the Castine for less than a year. If we ever want to upgrade, this would be on the shortlist. Seems that it's in the Oslo price range, but has the heat output of the Firelight.

I agree. For a steel stove, I think Jotul did a good job to dress it up with some castings. I actually prefer the clean lines and the unobstructed glass door. It does kind of resemble a Morso. When they get one in a store I will go snap some measurements with a tape so we can then have an [del]argument[/del] discussion about the size of the firebox :lol:

LOL! Sounds like a good plan! Let the debates begin!

When is this stove being released? Anyone know? I am really interested in being a ginuea pig. :)

I believe Jotul said they will be available to ship in August.

1st they said July, now it's august. with any new stove from any company, they typically put them out there august-october launch.

I love the idea of a Jotul top-loader, but I must admit that looks-wise I'm not all that impressed with the new model--but hey, I'm sure it's a heck of a burner!!

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.