New Jotul Oslo 500 Top Loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a copy of the of the brochure from the Jotul dealer weekend,
that shows the new top loader. It's called the TL50. 60K BTU...
Looks to be a CAD drawing photoshopped onto an existing document,
but I'll be DAMNED if I can figure out how to get the attachment into the reply.
I'll keep putzing around with it & maybe I'll figger it out.
If only I wasn't such a computer illidiot...*sigh*

Send it to me via a PM or email. I'll get it posted for you.

DAKSY said:
Last I heard from our Jotul rep, this thing is probably gonna be a hybrid steel/Cast Iron stove.
I believe he said the doors & top are cast, but the stove body is welded steel plate.
Sure ain't an Oslo...

Somebody just HAS to call Bob Fisher. :lol:

Here ya go. Square firebox should be a hit. It will be interesting to see how they set up the secondary air. I see that the flue can be set up to rear exit vs top exit. That's nice. Hope they offer the traditional gothic arch window grille, at least as an option. Right now it looks blank, but that could be so that they can Photoshop in the fire.

Attachments

• jotultl50_1.jpg
    jotultl50_1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 757
  • 50TL2.jpg
    50TL2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 818
Looks like according to those spec's it's a tad smaller than the Oslo. Hope it looks better in color.

It looks cool.

Can someone tell me why this top loading stove would be preferred over the Oslo F500? Is top loading supposed to be easier than side loading or is this simply a user preference?

CJRages said:
It looks cool.

Can someone tell me why this top loading stove would be preferred over the Oslo F500? Is top loading supposed to be easier than side loading or is this simply a user preference?

I'm thinking user preference . . . also some folks that have corner installs where you are supposed to close off the side loading door may find this new stove attractive. Just guessing though.

firefighterjake said:
CJRages said:
It looks cool.

I'm thinking user preference . . . also some folks that have corner installs where you are supposed to close off the side loading door may find this new stove attractive. Just guessing though.

18" North-South, East-West is pretty cool.
I know this is just an auto-cad design, but im not really feeling the look and think it should have an arched front door IMHO. I bet it'll look better in a real picture though. Also i'd still like to have a side door (at least as an option) even with the top load.

mikepinto65 said:
firefighterjake said:
CJRages said:
It looks cool.

18" North-South, East-West is pretty cool.
I know this is just an auto-cad design, but im not really feeling the look and think it should have an arched front door IMHO. I bet it'll look better in a real picture though. Also i'd still like to have a side door (at least as an option) even with the top load.

I'm right with you . . . the look as it stands right now doesn't do much for me.

That was my reaction too, it is a bit plain, but I will wait until I see one for real. I wanted the Oslo, but with our corner install the side door would have been rendered useless. I looked at all the possible top-loaders and would have grabbed an Isle Royale if the price was right, though I would have probably had to put up a wall shield. When the T6 became available, the rest was history. Easy install, great stove, does the job well.

I agree this will be attractive to folks with a corner install. The caboose on the stove looks heavily shielded so it wouldn't surprise me if this one has very small clearance requirements. If the flue exit is low, it could also be nice for a fireplace install. The flue exit is all the way to the back, unlike the Alderlea. The emissions are not spectacular which makes me wonder if it is setup to take a cat in the future.

...Not a fan. I saw the color ad slick on it this morning. From the picture it seemed like to me the casting looks thinner. The ad slick/broschure does it no justice. I would have to see it in person. Did they have one at the jotul meeting? Has any one touched it?

mo burns said:
...Not a fan. I saw the color ad slick on it this morning. From the picture it seemed like to me the casting looks thinner. The ad slick/broschure does it no justice. I would have to see it in person. Did they have one at the jotul meeting? Has any one touched it?

the color ad slick was a computer generated stove image, not the real deal. I saw it at the dealer meeting. The computer generated adslick image is pretty blah compared to the real deal. The castings on it are just trimwork: the stove itself is 100% steel firebox, firebrick lined, completely made and assembled here in Maine.
After getting my hands on the cold display model, and then loading some wood into the hot and running unit set up on a chimney at the meeting, I got a pretty good feel for the unit.
facing it it looks kinda like a Hearthstone Shelburne. The firebox is square, like a PE stove, does n/s and e/w loading. The top load is unique, with he only drawback being the "overnight load" you can get purely thru the top door. Because of where the opening is, and how it operates, you can stack a fair amount of lumber in thru the top load door, but stuffing it for overnight burn would probably be best with a straight in load thru the front door. use the top load for chunking in a few sticks here and there.
Easy to operate w/ one air control, and the swing away baflle is "dummy proof" in that when you close the top load door, there is a tongue that pushes the baffle back shut.
Rear heatshield included. Blower option. Looked to be a Castine ashpan fitted to the bottom. The flue collar is like the Oslo/Castine/Firelight: reversable. And standing next to the thing running was something else: It really cranked out the heat!!
I did snap a photo of it going BUT i'm not gonna post it till i ask the Jotul rep if its okay....

summit said:
mo burns said:

the color ad slick was a computer generated stove image, not the real deal. I saw it at the dealer meeting. The computer generated adslick image is pretty blah compared to the real deal. The castings on it are just trimwork: the stove itself is 100% steel firebox, firebrick lined, completely made and assembled here in Maine.
After getting my hands on the cold display model, and then loading some wood into the hot and running unit set up on a chimney at the meeting, I got a pretty good feel for the unit.
facing it it looks kinda like a Hearthstone Shelburne. The firebox is square, like a PE stove, does n/s and e/w loading. The top load is unique, with he only drawback being the "overnight load" you can get purely thru the top door. Because of where the opening is, and how it operates, you can stack a fair amount of lumber in thru the top load door, but stuffing it for overnight burn would probably be best with a straight in load thru the front door. use the top load for chunking in a few sticks here and there.
Easy to operate w/ one air control, and the swing away baflle is "dummy proof" in that when you close the top load door, there is a tongue that pushes the baffle back shut.
Rear heatshield included. Blower option. Looked to be a Castine ashpan fitted to the bottom. The flue collar is like the Oslo/Castine/Firelight: reversable. And standing next to the thing running was something else: It really cranked out the heat!!
I did snap a photo of it going BUT i'm not gonna post it till i ask the Jotul rep if its okay....

Oh come Summit! Photos of new electronics are leaked ALL the time. Its the latest trend, and, it is MHO that you get in on this trend!

I'm keepin' my Oslo :)

I thought I'd maybe have an interest in this top loader but if I ever bite the bullet and get a new stove it's gonna be BIGGER!

I agree...based on that pic, it looks kinda "plain" for a Jotul. But it may look better in color/in person. It certainly is an interesting design.

Glad they are finally making a steel stove. Only took a hundred years or so to figure it out. :lol: Now we have a welding shop in the Maine facility too?

My bet is that the top loading doesn't get used much in the real world. And another place for air to leak ain't on my wish list.

Sounds like an interesting stove. Hope to get a look at one.

Is it really a Jotul if it's built in Maine?

Frostbit said:
Sounds like an interesting stove. Hope to get a look at one.

Is it really a Jotul if it's built in Maine?

Sure . . . but instead of pronouncing it as "Yo-tul" you'll have to say it in a Maine accent and butcher the pronounciation and call it a "Joe-Tool". ;)

That stove looks like a Drolet. The sketches are pretty plain. I'd like to see the finished product in person to see if they finish it off a bit more. The 18"x18" firebox is pretty cool. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• jotultl50_2.jpg
    jotultl50_2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 471
  • jotultl50_3.jpg
    jotultl50_3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 455
  • jotultl50_4.jpg
    jotultl50_4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 418
  • jotultl50_5.jpg
    jotultl50_5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 423
It would look more like a Jotul if it had the Gothic arches on the window.

That's a little better. Handle hardware looks nice. Still does not look like a Jotul without the gothic arches in the door.

Todd said:

I agree . . . the arches would really complete the traditional look.

Also, I may have missed it . . . or maybe I'm just plain numb . . . what's the handle on the side for . . . I'm assuming that isn't for a side door . . . is this what you use to open the top?

Thanks for posting pics cycloxer, where did you come across it? I too agree, looks much better actually seeing it but its still missing that gothic feel (one of my fav aspects).

firefighterjake said:
Todd said:

I agree . . . the arches would really complete the traditional look.

Also, I may have missed it . . . or maybe I'm just plain numb . . . what's the handle on the side for . . . I'm assuming that isn't for a side door . . . is this what you use to open the top?

I'm guessing its for the bypass

Yeah it looks like Jotul is trying a little experiment with the 50TL. Mass High Tech had a short blurb on them a month ago on how they won a TechMaine award to help develop the stove:

"Jotul North America in Gorham was awarded $12,500 to create an innovative non-catalytic top-loading woodstove (to be branded as the Jotul 50 TL) which utilizes patentable cam lever technology to create an easy-to-load, clean burning, energy efficient product."

I'd like to check out the stove in person because it actually looks kind of cool. I think they were going for a large, unobstructed pane of glass. The stove is a bit different from their traditional cast offerings. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the market place.

It is nice to see a stove designed and manufactured in Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.