New Jotul Oslo 500 Top Loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karin61

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2010
south ct
Hi I spoke to a dealer and I think I also read it here that Jotul is coming out with a new top loader. I have limited space in my fireplace for a stove, no higher than 26.25" high and it's 33" from the edge of my hearth to the back of the fire box. It is a raised hearth so there is only a 12" ledge before the 26.25" opening. I can fit the Encore into the fire box since the door for the top load is in front of the stove ( about 4" from the back of the stove) and still be able to open the door, BUT because I need flue collar to make the 8" oval to a 8" round (why did VT make it that way to start with) and I need a T flue, I was told by dealer that that is an extra 16" which makes the whole thing measurement 38.25". And here I go again with the stove being 5" longer that the raised hearth. I can put bricks under the front legs, but I think it will look really strange.
Sorry for being so long winded. My ? is dose anyone know the exact measurement of the new Jotul stove and how many inches from the back of the stove to the new top loading door and will it still come with a "short leg kit". And is the ash pan still an option with the "short leg kit"? Because I don't need the 8" flue collar and only need the 6" T than HOPEFULLY the whole will fit in 33"
What a great site here, it's a God sent for newbies like me. THANKS EVERYONE

The Encore has the 8 inch oval flue collar? I thought only the Defiant had that. The VC website mentions a 6 inch collar for the Encore.

I dont think specs have been released for the new Jotul, nor do I think the new stove is a F500.

My Encore was 8", I think it is for open door/screen burning.

So, your choices are narrowed down to the new Jotul or an Encore? What is your goal? Find the biggest top loading cast iron stove that will fit?

Thanks everyone
I am going to run 8" liner so that I can use the open door sometimes. Would the person with the Encore be able to measure the whole distance from the front legs to the back of the T flue (not sure that is the right name for the T shape pile that connects stove to liner) ? It would be very helpful for me to see if I can fit it with in 33". My first goal is to 1st. have a stove that I like the looks of 2nd. and be able to fit in fire place 3nd. and heat 2000 sq. ft. (Take it from a girl-- size and looks really do matter lol )
I just spoke to the dealer again to find out more info, but they are telling me it is a remake of the Oslo so it can have a top load and the price should be around $2200
Thanks again for your help and as soon as I hear from her I let you all know the new info.

mikepinto65 said:
I dont think specs have been released for the new Jotul, nor do I think the new stove is a F500.
Its pretty much the Oslo, just a few changes. Almost exact firebox size, but swing away baffle and loads from top. Im sure it goes by a diff name though.

inneedofhelp said:
Hi I spoke to a dealer and I think I also read it here that Jotul is coming out with a new top loader. I have limited space in my fireplace for a stove, no higher than 26.25"

Why look at a top loader if you cant use it? You'll prob have to have the top door sealed to meet your specs anyway.

Also do you guys think that I will get enough draft to burn open door when my liner is oval -- the brick liners are 6 3/4" x 10 3/4" on the inside and the sweep said he can make a liner oval to fit into that space. Any ideas ? Thanks

logger said:
mikepinto65 said:
Its pretty much the Oslo, just a few changes. Almost exact firebox size, but swing away baffle and loads from top. Im sure it goes by a diff name though.

Swing baffle and top loading is pretty much not the Oslo. I guess my point was that of you last sentence, different name = different stove, if you dont want to consider it different due to design changes and a smaller firebox.

Hey welcome to hearth.com.

Pictures of your setup would be helpful, but it sounds like you are trying to fit a woodstove onto a hearth in front of a fireplace opening and there just isn't enough room to do it and meet code.

Any wood stove has code specs that need to be followed in terms of clearances to combustibles all around, and also there are floor protection requirements too.

And every once in a while you want to have an open fire too eh? Well, I've had two stoves so far that came with screens, one was the Vermont Castings Defiant, and the other is what I have now, the Jotul Oslo. I didn't use the screens on either but maybe one or two times, then I sold 'em and I'll tell you why. When the burning season gets started, and you're trying to heat your place, the best way to do it is to keep the woodstove closed up. When you open up the front door and put the screen in it just sucks a lot of air through and up the chimney.

Anyway, why aren't you looking at a fireplace insert? That would be an option.

Otherwise, if you really want a woodstove, you'll just have to install the proper hearth out in front of your current hearth so that you meet code. Just staking bricks on the floor out front of the stove won't cut it.

Search out some actual stove manuals online and read them, see what they say about chimneys, hearths, clearances and such. Start here if you want....

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 500 Oslo/Manual_F_500_USA_P12_211009.pdf

mikepinto65 said:
logger said:
mikepinto65 said:

Swing baffle and top loading is pretty much not the Oslo. I guess my point was that of you last sentence, different name = different stove, if you dont want to consider it different due to design changes and a smaller firebox.
I did say a "few" changes didn't I? Those are just a few in my book. To me, this stove sounds much like the Oslo, except a top loader.. sorry, didnt know you were so technical bud.

Hah, my last post to you is nothing "technical" and wasn't meant to insult you. All I was trying to get at is that there are many stoves out that are similer in design/size but we dont call them the same thing. The new Jotul stove probably is not going to be marketed as an Oslo, because it is a new design....but who knows, maybe Jotul will name it the "Oslo TL" (or something along the lines) we'll have to wait and see (i just dont see that happening because from what i've heard its a smaller stove).

I will second the uselessness of the wood stove screen. I used it once or twice for short periods of time. Just makes no sense except to satisfy someone's urge to hear the fire crackle. Light the wife a fire outside if that is what she wants...

Thanks Guys
Yes I want to put the wood stove in the fireplace just as little as possible so I don't have to build out the raised hearth, it may be called a "hearth mount". I will have a lot of clearances to combustibles, because the stove will be sitting inside a fire box (right ?)
And I'll get something for the floor if need be. I really don't like the looks of the inserts (looks count) Dose anyone with a Encore know the measurements from the back of the T to the front legs??? for an 8" flue ?
The dealer I spoke with is going to Jotul in Maine on the 28th, and she said she would get back to me with specs. I will let you all know what she has to say about the new model THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP

wooo-hoo. Is thing thing out yet? Sounds like a winner. I'm curious to see how that top loaders gonna work!

Hay I am the Wife and it's cold outside. Just kidding-- maybe the open fire isn't such a big deal and wouldn't be a deal breaker but the size sure is. Anyone with encore to help me with measurements ???

I have a VC encore. Mine hooks straight from the stove to 8" oval stainless liner. No Tee. Mines right inside the hearth but they hooked it right to the 8" oval to make it thru the 5.5" damper. I'd think the length to your tee is gonna vary? If your in the fireplace what are you talking about dists to combustables. No comprendo? Can you post a pic?

The new stove is not an oslo. its way different. I think capacity will be close to the oslo, but there is nothing similar in how they are constructed.

Sounds very intriguing. I hope I dont get stove envy over my new to me Quad IR! If I go to 3 stoves the wife will kick my butt!

inneedofhelp said:
And I'll get something for the floor if need be.

This is a point that you should research carefully. Chances are that you will at least have to put down a masonry hearth extension on the floor out in front of your current raised hearth. To simply lay a pad out front may seem to be ok, but the gap between that pad and the current raised hearth is what would be of concern in terms of meeting fire code/installation code. My suggestion is that you be certain to research this. I wouldn't want to have a hot ember drop into that crack there, cause a fire, and then have my insurance company refuse to pay for damages because I did not have the appropriate 18 inches of noncombustible material out in front of my stove.

Here is what the Jotul Oslo manual says :

"FLOOR PROTECTION
FLOOR PROTECTION UNDER THE STOVE MUST BE CONSTRUCTED OF A NONCOMBUSTIBLE
MATERIAL FOR PROTECTION FROM RADIANT HEAT, SPARKS,
AND EMBERS.
iNDIVIDUAL SECTIONS OF FLOOR PROTECTION MUST BE MORTARED
TOGETHER TO PREVENT SPARKS FROM FALLING THROUGH TO COMBUSTIBLE
MATERIALS. aNY CARPETING MUST BE REMOVED FROM UNDER THE FLOOR
PROTECTION."

Random thoughts . . .

If I had a fireplace and liked the fireplace look and space was at a premium, I would go with a fireplace insert.
If I had a fireplace, but liked the idea of having more heat and not having to utilize a blower to move the heat, I would go with a free-standing woodstove.

Free burning: Ah yes, many of us think how nice it would be to have a screen and burn with the door wide open . . . "Ah, it would be just like having a fireplace" we all think . . . but as others have mentioned most folks who go down this road burn with the screen once or twice and realize a) that they're losing a lot of heat this way and b) with the new stoves and large windows you can still see a lot of the fire, hear the fire crackle (albeit maybe not as loudly) AND at the same time you're getting warm -- so your sense of sight, hearing and touch (or at least comfort) are all met.

Clearances: Give yourself plenty of space . . . space to meet and exceed clearances to combustibles is good for a safety standpoint . . . but having plenty of space is also pretty nice when it comes to being able to open the fire box door plenty wide to shove in that especially large or especially twisty split . . . and having plenty of space is nice when it comes to being able to clean in and around the stove.

Hearths: Unless space truly is at a premium I am a big proponent of larger hearths . . . some folks may view hearths as wasted space . . . space that takes out a chuck of living area . . . but that's only one way to look at it . . . you can also look at an over-sized or large hearth as a great place to dry wet gloves and boots . . . or a great place to store your woodstove tools . . . or if it's large enough to meet combustible clearances a space to store your day's supply of wood and keep the dirt, sawdust, etc. off the living room floor . . . and if the hearth is large enough it can provide a great space for you or your pets to curl up next to the stove after you've been outside in the bitter cold.

summit said:
The new stove is not an oslo. its way different. I think capacity will be close to the oslo, but there is nothing similar in how they are constructed.

That's all I was getting at too and felt the title of this thread should be addressed.

I agree we've got 2 things going on here. I'm guilty I was just trying to help the gentleman out.

Heres my prediction, the new top loader stove will be model Jt550 and named "oslo encore" rolls right off the tongue!

Last I heard from our Jotul rep, this thing is probably gonna be a hybrid steel/Cast Iron stove.
I believe he said the doors & top are cast, but the stove body is welded steel plate.
Sure ain't an Oslo...

Interesting. Sounds like it might be a response to the Alderlea.

Status
Not open for further replies.