Jotul F500v3 in fireplace - chimney sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Patrick-

Dec 14, 2023
VA
Hi all, first time poster. We have a 1985 Lopi 520 (iirc) in our basement but want to get a heater on main floor to heat more of the house, plus that’s where we spend majority or our time. Currently have a masonry fireplace where propane logs were installed prior to us buying the house.

I’m looking at buying a F500v3 Oslo, with short legs. It should give me 0.75” clearance to lintel. I am hoping to have stove halfway in the firebox, I believe the flue collar would point up and be centered under where the liner would come down.

How would I clean the chimney on a setup like this? Is it hard to clean through the stove or would I want to move stove out or at angle to have liner cleaned?

Thanks
Patrick

Hi all, first time poster. We have a 1985 Lopi 520 (iirc) in our basement but want to get a heater on main floor to heat more of the house, plus that’s where we spend majority or our time. Currently have a masonry fireplace where propane logs were installed prior to us buying the house.

I’m looking at buying a F500v3 Oslo, with short legs. It should give me 0.75” clearance to lintel. I am hoping to have stove halfway in the firebox, I believe the flue collar would point up and be centered under where the liner would come down.

How would I clean the chimney on a setup like this? Is it hard to clean through the stove or would I want to move stove out or at angle to have liner cleaned?

Thanks
Patrick
I would have it stick out further and rear vent to a T.

.75 inches is not a lot of room for air circulation.

Have you read the reviews of the v3? I would be choosing something different would the F55 fit? I would also consider an insert. There are not many options for stoves that short.

If you could find a used F400 I can’t remove the baffle out the door and everything falls into the stove. But I don’t like how much smaller it is.

Thanks. I have been looking at 400s. It is actually .25” taller than the 500v3. And I think that is with short legs on v3. It was showing 26.25” h for 400, and manual on 500v3 says 26” h.

Your I think you me post indicated you could clean flue on 400 by going through stove? Seemed like maybe a typo in what you wrote maybe?

Insert may be the way to go, and is more typical. I wanted to go “fan free” if possible but makes more sense size wise to go insert. I really like the Jotul c550 Rockland but apparently Jotul doesn’t sell inserts anymore.

So with the T, you just go behind stove with brush and feed into bottom of the tee? Which would require moving stove to the side. Is that also how an insert would be cleaned for flue liner?

just measured my f400
29" tall with 9"legs.

3/4 inch is very very tight. If u do do a stove i'd also pull it out as far as possible (as ebs suggests) in front of the fireplace opening. You may look at smaller stoves if you don't want an insert.

Radiant heaters will have a hard time heating when stuffed into a masonry glove, inserts are the way to go, plus cleaning is much easier since the liner is set into an angled stove collar, so you can clean from the inside and up without moving anything out of the way.

Thanks. I have been looking at 400s. It is actually .25” taller than the 500v3. And I think that is with short legs on v3. It was showing 26.25” h for 400, and manual on 500v3 says 26” h.

Your I think you me post indicated you could clean flue on 400 by going through stove? Seemed like maybe a typo in what you wrote maybe?

Insert may be the way to go, and is more typical. I wanted to go “fan free” if possible but makes more sense size wise to go insert. I really like the Jotul c550 Rockland but apparently Jotul doesn’t sell inserts anymore.

So with the T, you just go behind stove with brush and feed into bottom of the tee? Which would require moving stove to the side. Is that also how an insert would be cleaned for flue liner?
The F500 is primarily a side loader which will need clearance on the left side to open up the door for loading. They don't sell the F400 anymore either. Have you looked at the Jotul F45? That will rear vent and has a better track record.

Although Jotul no longer sells inserts, there are other companies that do.

Yes you can clean the F400 by going through the stove. It’s is a bit of a Tetris game. I have a thread on here where I numbered my steps so I can reference is as I forget. Sometimes I get right the first time others I’m convinced there is no way to get it in/out.

I run a fan in mine most of the time. It’s small and silent but if I need to throw lots of heat it’s the only way. Look at the pacific energy T5 insert. The trade off for fabless is not worth it for low height fireplaces like your IMO. If you can’t put the stove out front. You are better off with an insert.

Reactions: Patrick-