New laptop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
I am lookin for a laptop for the wife and wanted to know where to look for a good deal on one. It needs to be under 500$. She just needs it to get online while at home and sitting out on the porch or her swing and to do some homework on. She is far from being a pc geek so simple is best here. Any thoughts???

I was in Dallas this weekend and was walking through Wall Mart and they had a Compaq 15.6" laptop for $298. It's not the best but for what it is it's a heck of a deal. We bought two of them. Not every store has them so you may have to look around. Here is what it has, http://walmart.richfx.com.edgesuite...fx_versioningid=20&rfx;_versions=&banner=7/26 - 8/1&eDate=July 26th - August 1st&rfx;_dontcache=&drpStoreID=412&store=Athens, TX, 75751&zip=75751☎=(903) 677-5400&rfx_catalogs=July_26_2009,20,July 26th - August 1st,7/26 - 8/1

I would look for a deal on a Dell online. Just because of their tech support. Anything that I have had from Dell that did need parts, they were sent to my door very fast.

after my experiance with the acer i bought for my daughter christmas '08, i will never buy another computer from walmart.

after 3 months, the hardrive crapped out and i had to send it to texas 4 times to get it fixed. it spent 8 weeks on the road back and forth to tx. and the tech support really stunk. you cant even get someone on the phone who speaks fluent english.

next laptop i buy will be dell or from best buy. at least i will be anle to take it to the geek squad for warranty work.

Buy her an iPhone for $200! ha.

I agree with the above - Dell is great. I've ordered several right from their website. Delivered to your door step in a few days and their customer service is quite good...

+5 on the Dells....working on one right now, and my wife has one as well.
She had a few small problems with hers, and they came out to the house twice to fix, and service was very good.

Hiram Maxim said:
I purchase my computers directly from Dell.

You can build them to your specs and they come with a 3 year warranty!

Their customer service is top notch.

No problem getting one for under $500

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspnnb/ct.aspx?refid=inspnnb&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=lthp

If you have a small business you can get even better deals.

Hope this helps???

Hiram

IT guy with 15 years under my belt.

I agree Dell is a good direction. The 3 yeaar warranty is NOT standard on a consumer grade Dell, in my experience its not standard on ANY manufacturer's consumer grade line. The 3 year warranty will run you an extra $190.

Dell's consumer business is great, good customer service too...not happy with their business products or support and refuse to deal with them for the bank.

Also look at Compaq, HP (same brand really, but both names are still used), and Toshiba makes decent products too. If you have a local Best Buy you cna go there and actually use the models you may buy...there are good deals there as wel. Lots of cheap laptops in the $300-500 range right there ont he shelf, and BB is a Dell store as well. Don't let them sucker you for the extended warranty. At this price point, these are effectively disposable computers...if your power suply craps out after 2 years, you can get it replaced under the warranty you paid $200 for and still have the same (now old) laptop...or you cna replace the thing for proabbyl $200-300 at that point and you have a nice shiny new one for the same overall money.

Don't buy a laptop with any less that 2GB of RAM, 4 is vastly better. In order to cut costs, most companies do not include recovery discs in the package anymore, rather they have the recovery disc images on the laptop and you have to make the discs yourself. Make sure you do it first thing and put the discs somewhere safe. If you venture to the wrong website and pick up an infection that can't be easily cured on your computer you WILL have to wipe it clean and start over. If you don't have these discs its going to cost you more than the replacement cost of the device to get the right discs and/or potentially pay someone to do it for you.

Make sure to install a good antivirus/snti-malware application and keep it up to date. Any pc that is used to extensively surf the web will eventually get hit with an infection of some sort, if you keep your defenses up to date you will significantly increase your odds of not having to wipe out your computer.

Good luck.

mayhem said:
Hiram Maxim said:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspnnb/ct.aspx?refid=inspnnb&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=lthp

Hope this helps???

Hiram

I agree Dell is a good direction. The 3 yeaar warranty is NOT standard on a consumer grade Dell, in my experience its not standard on ANY manufacturer's consumer grade line. The 3 year warranty will run you an extra $190.

Dell's consumer business is great, good customer service too...not happy with their business products or support and refuse to deal with them for the bank.

Also look at Compaq, HP (same brand really, but both names are still used), and Toshiba makes decent products too. If you have a local Best Buy you cna go there and actually use the models you may buy...there are good deals there as wel. Lots of cheap laptops in the $300-500 range right there ont he shelf, and BB is a Dell store as well. Don't let them sucker you for the extended warranty. At this price point, these are effectively disposable computers...if your power suply craps out after 2 years, you can get it replaced under the warranty you paid $200 for and still have the same (now old) laptop...or you cna replace the thing for proabbyl $200-300 at that point and you have a nice shiny new one for the same overall money.

Don't buy a laptop with any less that 2GB of RAM, 4 is vastly better. In order to cut costs, most companies do not include recovery discs in the package anymore, rather they have the recovery disc images on the laptop and you have to make the discs yourself. Make sure you do it first thing and put the discs somewhere safe. If you venture to the wrong website and pick up an infection that can't be easily cured on your computer you WILL have to wipe it clean and start over. If you don't have these discs its going to cost you more than the replacement cost of the device to get the right discs and/or potentially pay someone to do it for you.

Make sure to install a good antivirus/snti-malware application and keep it up to date. Any pc that is used to extensively surf the web will eventually get hit with an infection of some sort, if you keep your defenses up to date you will significantly increase your odds of not having to wipe out your computer.

Good luck.

Or alternatively, refuse the Microsoft Windows Chain, er, "End User Licence Agreement" and install a copy of GNU/Linux (almost any distro) - downloadable for free off the net, or Ubuntu will mail you a free CD on request...

Will run nicely on less than 1GB of RAM, though 4 is better. Doesn't GET infections, malware, or other such items, they essentially don't exist for Linux...

Gooserider

Attachments

• BadVista_no_littering.png
    BadVista_no_littering.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 380
I vote for the Toshiba, as that is what I have worked with for years. Nothing against Dell other than some of their drivers can be a real pain sometimes.

Goose have you tried windows 7 RC yet? If not give it a shot, it's pretty damn good and has solved almost all of the windows vista issues.

The next release of Windows (Windows 7) will be available this October. While Windows 7 may look like Vista, they have done a TON of work "under the hood" and it really is an excellent operating system.

Many manufacturers are now offering a free copy of Windows 7 when it is released to anyone who buys a computer with Vista on it now. If you buy a computer now, make sure that you find out if the one you're looking at qualifies you for the free upgrade.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
The next release of Windows (Windows 7) will be available this October. While Windows 7 may look like Vista, they have done a TON of work "under the hood" and it really is an excellent operating system.

Many manufacturers are now offering a free copy of Windows 7 when it is released to anyone who buys a computer with Vista on it now. If you buy a computer now, make sure that you find out if the one you're looking at qualifies you for the free upgrade.

-SF

Windows 7 STILL comes with DRM - i.e. you don't have control over the data and software you pay for. (Look at what just happened to people that got 1984 on their Amazon Swindle's )

Windows 7 STILL does not give you full control over your computer - they retain the remote shutdown capability.

Windows 7 STILL does not give you the Four Freedoms of proper Open Source software.

Windows 7 STILL does not give you the Source Code - you can't fix your own bugs, you can't hire someone to fix bugs or ensure that your software will continue to operate if the original developer doesn't want to bother. If you want something fixed, be ready to beg, and wait for their schedule... Microsoft is noted for waiting extended periods after KNOWN exploits are in the wild before issuing a mystery patch that claims to fix the problem.

Windows 7 STILL does not allow you to help your neighbor by sharing programs with him that he finds useful...

Windows 7 STILL does not allow third parties to look at their (mostly non-existent) security model - of course this doesn't stop the malware developers....

Windows 7 STILL does not allow you to modify the operation of the programs it comes with in order to make them fit your needs

Windows 7 STILL does come with tons of "adware" and other trash programs which will require major work to clean up and remove...

Windows 7 STILL will not work properly or efficiently on older hardware...

Windows 7 STILL does not give you the ability to freely and easily move the software that you have paid for to a different machine, or upgrade your hardware significantly.

Windows 7 STILL does not allow you to redistribute it freely.

GNU/LINUX STILL does all of these things - quickly, efficiently, and without abusing their users...

Gooserider

mayhem said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Hope this helps???

Hiram

Could it be because I ordered through my business I get 3 years? I know I didn't purchase an extra warranty..............I'm to cheap ;-P

Possibly, I didn't check their small business site or deals...is it an Inspiron or a business notebook? Most of the major vendors include 3 yr as standard with their business lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.