New living room and Jotul F500 Oslo rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If the stove is painted and to be soon repainted, I wouldn't use polish. I'd leave it as is until you can repaint it.

That is contrary to the advice I have seen. If the stove is painted I wouldn't use polish. I'd just leave it natural until you can repaint it.

Ok well at a closer look last night the stove looks to be bare metal? Did Jotul offer this? There seems to be no paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20171102_203044905.jpg
    IMG_20171102_203044905.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 201
I started cleaning and tested an area with the Polish...I don't mind it but really want to paint it with the Jotul iron color

Ok well at a closer look last night the stove looks to be bare metal? Did Jotul offer this? There seems to be no paint.

To my untrained eye it just looks a bit rusted from time and use . . . I suspect it has the matte black paint.

It's matt black paint from the factory, over time the paint just wears/burns off. My stove looked a lot like that, if you paint it it will look good for a few years and then the bare metal will start to show through again. I have great results with the polish it's less work, smokes less, looks better, and is easily touched up. I just buffed mine by hand with a dry rag recently, I didn't even add any more polish and it looks great.
From what I can see from your photo your stove will polish up nicely and you may like it so much you might decide not to paint it.

It's matt black paint from the factory, over time the paint just wears/burns off. My stove looked a lot like that, if you paint it it will look good for a few years and then the bare metal will start to show through again. I have great results with the polish it's less work, smokes less, looks better, and is easily touched up. I just buffed mine by hand with a dry rag recently, I didn't even add any more polish and it looks great.
From what I can see from your photo your stove will polish up nicely and you may like it so much you might decide not to paint it.
I didn't notice your other thread the stove looks good painted! [almost as good as if you polished it]:)

I didn't notice your other thread the stove looks good painted! [almost as good as if you polished it]:)

Yeah I was going to mention that, but you found it. I just installed it on the hearth in the house last night but didn't get a chance to burn, had to help a friend track a deer...will post pics this evening.
Thank you. And thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.