New Lopi Liberty - Oil-canning - bang!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yep, tell em to load it up and give your money back. They have burned two bridges now and need to be exposed.

One clue to the big hit of damage the stove took during transit - the baffle bracket, which fits over the airtubes, fell off during my first break-in on fire (which I did immediately to check on the banging) - I don't think it was all the way on, I re-installed it with no issues once the stove cooled. I'm sure when the stove was hit from behind, it was hard enough to shake this loose - meaning those airtubes took one helluva bang, dare I say........ ;)

To do this sort of damage, I think something big, metal, and sharp hit this stove.....WHAM........

Another possible clue is the door, and the ashtray - take a heck of a lot more effort to open and close that the old one did..... Is the entire stove bent/warped a bit all over? Is this simply because it's a brand new stove? As it stands now, the door and ashtray work, but are a pain to open and close - taking WAY more pressure and energy than any stove I have had before. Possibly this will lighten as they are used a while?

I don't know the answer........yet.........

Like I said before, the whole stove looks warped. Maybe they dropped it off a lift truck or something?
It takes a huge hit to do that. I think this warrants a return of funds paid for said stove and going with a different one.

Reactions: stoveliker
Your experience is shocking and disappointing.

I was under the impression that Lopi is a bastion of quality and service. This tale has certainly changed my mind.

That condition of the new stove is unacceptable.

Good luck.

That picture as to the entire stove being warped I believe is exaggerated. The top being bent down, and being able to see it from the front is correct, but the camera angle made the entire stove look worse than it is. Although there has been NO photo-shopping, I just took the darn pic and posted it, I think my curvy walls confuse the camera lens.

Here's a new one I just took.

My wrist is sore from opening and closing the door and ashpan trying to "break them in"........ Lopi8.JPG

The door and ash pan should work smoothly. You need to get on the horn with that dealer and lopi and get this mess fixed. This thread has 3k views so far. This is very bad press for lopi. I have had people ask me about stoves and I have been telling them to avoid lopi like the plague, because of this thread. If they won't step up and make it right, then they deserve to lose every sale this costs them, and I will continue to steer people away from lopi. The OP paid 3x what he should have for a stove and now has another problem stove in place of the old one. The delivery guys had to know the stove was damaged when they delivered it.

I want to state before I continue this thread, that I in no way, shape, or form intended to harm Lopi with this thread.

I do wish to thank any and everyone that has given their thought, and opinions. I truly appreciate the time and advice of all.

I have ALWAYS been patient, waited for months, and NEVER lost my temper, or sent my Dealer, or Travis directly any sort of mean-spirited letter .....the only reason I finally did get a second replacement stove, was I kept at it, and pretty much everything I have posted here the past 7 months on this thread I have sent to my Dealer or Travis Also many phone calls with my Dealer.

I am dealing with a very large company in Travis Industries, who, at least in my area - sends their stoves to a distributor, who then sends there stoves to a very large dealer that I chose to deal with - with multiple outlets in at least 3 different states. NOT a small Mom and Pop type stove dealer that I bought my original Lopi Endeavor from, or even my Hearthstone Heritage (that I still have and use in an Atrium in my house) which I bought in 2018.

My main contact at my dealer has been friendly, but is simply a cog in the machine, and handles dealing with customers, and knows very little about wood stoves. The companies main business is remodeling, stuff and I know they sell a lot of Hot Tubs. When I bought the original stove, which was a demo model on their large showroom floor in Albuquerque, the salesman was quite friendly, and great to deal with. Obviously, as this thread shows, things went downhill then. I never have dealt with the original salesman, since again since the original purchase 8 months ago.

I had a Lopi Endeavor, that was bought in 1999, and used for 18 years without a single issue. It was a different dealer that no longer exists. I wanted another darn Lopi since then, but just couldn't afford it. I finally coughed up, and this thread has been exactly what has happened.

If anyone thinks, anything I have posted aren't the exact facts, and that I have some past bone or past grievance with Lopi - feel free to message me privately for more personal, exact details. I am happy to send you a picture of my sales receipt showing I paid exactly what has been spoken of here.

I just went through one of the most brutal winters on recent record here in the Southern Rockies. If you recall seeing all the storms that hit California - well they hit me, a day or two later!!! I had over 4 times the usual amount of snowfall, and during a fairly short time. My November and December were very dry, but starting in early January, I got 14 feet of snow within a few weeks.

I was snowed in at my remote mountain property for weeks at a time. I had A LOT OF TIME, to stare at and listen to the original stove with it's loud BANG, every darn time it was fired up, and the clanging, buzzing, popping I have posted about.

I will state on a positive note, after using the darn stove for over 6 months, it sure heated great! For a deaf person that is. And the door handle, and the ashpan worked fine! I don't know what's going on with the hard to work doors on this new one, simply a new stove thing, need some sort of Lube or what. I am at the end of my burning season, and it will be 5 months before I need wood heat again on a regular basis. I live at 8000 feet, so do during summer cold spells, fire up a small fire here and there for just a few degrees of warmth.

Now, I will see what happens in the near future..........

Reactions: Todd and stoveliker
I don't think any of us doubt what you have said, but if it bothers you as much as you indicate, you need to get on the horn to the dealer and lopi and get it fixed right away. Have you told them about the damage on the new stove yet? If not, why? These things need to be dealt with right away, not months down the road.

If I was that dealer and you were snowed in with a defective stove, I would have had a snow cat or helicopter deliver the new stove, and it would have been checked over twice to make sure it was good.

Reactions: Todd
A helicopter? You would have veey happy customers, but be soon out of business....

A helicopter? You would have veey happy customers, but be soon out of business....
It wouldn't be a regular thing, but if a customer bought a stove and got snowed in and discovered the stove was defective, It would need to be replaced. One of my neighbors has a helicopter, and the cost to fly a new stove out to a remote cabin would not be as high as some may think. With the price he paid for that stove, they could fly several out.

Reactions: stoveliker
I don't think any of us doubt what you have said, but if it bothers you as much as you indicate, you need to get on the horn to the dealer and lopi and get it fixed right away. Have you told them about the damage on the new stove yet? If not, why? These things need to be dealt with right away, not months down the road.

If I was that dealer and you were snowed in with a defective stove, I would have had a snow cat or helicopter deliver the new stove, and it would have been checked over twice to make sure it was good.
Hi, I contacted my Dealer, Travis directly, and the rep from Travis I dealt with previously, before I posted here. The new stove came Friday, I thought about what I would say a couple of days, and contacted, and posted here yesterday, Sunday afternoon. We will see what happens this week. I have learned NOTHING happens fast, this isn't a Mom and Pop operation, I have to wait a few days for everything to go "up and down the feed chain".........

In regards to "get it fixed right away"......yikes, that's what I have been trying to do with dozens of phone calls, e-mails, 4 site visits during the past 8 months.........I have to look at the humor of this situation, or I would go mad. It's truly a "treating customer bad" story for the ages, as far as I'm concerned.

The four "Site visits", were the first time they tried to deliver the stove, with two guys, and did not have the proper equipment. They came back with more guys and more gear the second time for the delivery. The third visit was to inspect the noisy stove, and the fourth, this new one coming, and the old one going out!!!!!! This has been an 8 month situation mind you!!!!!

To clarify my "snowed in" situation, it's my driveway I'm talking about - I live right of a paved, maintained and plowed state road. My driveway is 1/10 of a mile, very steep, and have to park at the top of my property and "walk in" a few minutes when it's got a lot of snow on it. I can't plow it, it just get's worse. It needs leveling and graveling, but that would cost a lot more than I have. If you recall in previous postings, when I found out Lopi finally agreed to replace the original stove - from a distributor a few hours north of me, I let them know, there were huge snow forecasts, and we had a 10 day window to get the stove delivered. Nothing happened, no one put a "rush" on this situation, and I was stuck with the original banging stove all winter.

It wouldn't be a regular thing, but if a customer bought a stove and got snowed in and discovered the stove was defective, It would need to be replaced. One of my neighbors has a helicopter, and the cost to fly a new stove out to a remote cabin would not be as high as some may think. With the price he paid for that stove, they could fly several out.

The OP is certainly gracious and patient (and justifiably persistent).

I'd agree with "right now" if the stove was unable to provide heat, especially if it's the only heat source. Neither seems to be the case here.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
You’re very patient. I’d be going nuts, even with that warped stove. If it cost you 6 grand it better be perfect. Like some guys here said; I’d tell them to take their stove and get a refund. Go with pacific energy or something. I have a new Lopi Answer, cost me 4.4K after the entire install, while I love it and it performs as I think it should, I did make a thread about the welds and they are very amateur. I just believe their quality has gone down a bit, and for how much they charge for their premium stoves I think it should be damn near perfect.

I have an answer sitting in the shop right now. They are nice little stoves. It was made around 1990 and the welds are pretty nice. It was used hard until we replaced it with a big cook stove.

Reactions: Jaison
It's now three days and no response yet.

I have some good news regarding the door and ashpan. I pulled out some WD-40, sprayed around the latches, and kept opening and closing for a while, while it worked in, and it has greatly improved that situation. While they still are a pain for a 6K stove, and do not open as easily as the original stove - they are do-able.

I'm going to get a little more serious here, no sleep with do that to ya......this 8 month fiasco has cost me dozens and dozens nights of no sleep, many nights I attempted to run the original stove, only to hear the exploding metal noises all night...... hundreds of hours of worrying, dozens of phone calls and e-mails to friends and family, etc etc etc, in short this has been a HUGE PAINFUL LOPI SORE in my life the past 8 months. If Lopi showed up today with a $10,000 check, and a new stove to boot, I would still be pissed. I don't think I will ever get over this situation, regardless of the outcome. Perhaps I need to shave my head, and move to a mountain in Tibet for a few years to try and cleanse my soul of this Lopi hell I have been going through.

A question many of my friends and family have asked, how the heck did the crew bringing you this stove, not see, or react to the bent back? I have an opinion of this, but it's not fact. I just don't know for sure. I have really tried to leave personal attacks out of this thread, and only state facts I know that are 100% true.

If the moderators of this forum choose at some point to shut down this thread - for my bashing of Lopi - have at it. I have had my say.

But even though I don't need the heat, I have been running the stove a lot the past few days, just to get a feel of everything. I now, don't believe the stove is warped, it's just a bent back. From the front, side, the stove looks great......ahem......

But my main issue with the original stove was the loud banging (as my videos show), EVERY time I fired it up. And a very loud clanging all the time. This new stove has no banging, no constant clanging. Yes, it has a few clicks here and there, but overall is 90% quieter most of the time, which will allow all night burns.

Will the stove at some point fail at that bent in divot point? I would like to think no, and this is just a cosmetic issue. But do I really want to continue arguing, begging, threatening, pleading, being blown off, etc etc etc etc with my Dealer and Lopi. No.

Do I realy want to go through the huge hassle to attempt to get a THIRD stove delivered? What is that one has a nice gorgeous straight back, but bangs and clangs like the first one? A fourth stove anyone? A fifth?................etc etc

I am thinking hard about dropping this whole issue, and just living with the new stove. I would like to post something on this great site that doesn't involve this Lopi situation!!!

peace folks

A new dealer perhaps, but the stove is a good one. The Liberty is an excellent choice.

This is the risk of online info. Folks often use the internet to vent, but rarely to praise. One singular experience does not negate thousands of good experiences. What has happened here should never have reached the customer, but there are human errors in any production and delivery scenario.
I hope it gets resolved in a timely fashion for the OP, but this may depend on where that big divot occurred. If it was at the dealer, Lopi's head office may not be happy with that error.

Reactions: Sealcove
I read this a few weeks ago because I started getting the exact gong sound on my new Liberty after a couple of months. It turned out my door latch has loosened as well as ash had fallen behind the ash pan and caused the ash pan to be hard to close. (My fault). This caused the gasket not to seal well. After correcting both of these things I haven’t heard ever noise once and all the creaking and popping has almost completely disappeared. Hope that helps someone if they ever have the same thing happening.

I read this a few weeks ago because I started getting the exact gong sound on my new Liberty after a couple of months. It turned out my door latch has loosened as well as ash had fallen behind the ash pan and caused the ash pan to be hard to close. (My fault). This caused the gasket not to seal well. After correcting both of these things I haven’t heard ever noise once and all the creaking and popping has almost completely disappeared. Hope that helps someone if they ever have the same thing happening.

Good info. I get the occasional heating/cooling gong sound, but does not seem related to door or ash pan. Best I can tell it is from a part of the outer metal casing expanding/contracting. I may hear it a few times a week, so I assume there is some condition such as heating/cooling rate that is the trigger. It is not very loud and I don’t find it to be an issue when it does happen.

I am in the third season with this stove and it has been preforming very well for me. I wish the door was available so the hinges are on the left, but other than that I am very happy with it.