New member and new to wood stoves. Earth stove questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRH545

Oct 12, 2022
Ut
Howdy all, I picked up an old 3340 Earth Stove to heat my shop and I have questions about the stove and how to safely go about installing and operating it. Is this the proper forum for these questions?

If there is no UL label on the back of the stove then it needs to be installed to NFPA 211 regs for an unlisted stove. These regs require 36" clearance from any combustibles in all directions. The side and/or rear clearances can be reduced to 12" using a ventilated wall shield. The hearth pad must have at least an R=1.19 insulation rating unless the stove is on a cement floor. The flue system must be sized according to the stove requirements usually set by the flue collar size.

If there is no UL label on the back of the stove then it needs to be installed to NFPA 211 regs for an unlisted stove. These regs require 36" clearance from any combustibles in all directions. The side and/or rear clearances can be reduced to 12" using a ventilated wall shield. The hearth pad must have at least an R=1.19 insulation rating unless the stove is on a cement floor. The flue system must be sized according to the stove requirements usually set by the flue collar size.
Flue collar is 8 inch. I must use 8 inch all the way from the stove correct?

Yes, correct. 8" stove pipe to connect the stove to the class A chimney pipe when it exits the room.

Yes, correct. 8" stove pipe to connect the stove to the class A chimney pipe when it exits the room.
Thank you. Any ideas on a search term to find out if anyone has successfully installed a baffle on these older stoves to keep the heat from going straight up the flue? Seems you could steal a little more heat from the burn by placing a baffle between the burn and the gaping 8" hole in the top.