New member, looking for advice on a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
12hrs of actual usable heat in a basement trying to heat that much house is going to be hard
So even if a stove is. Rated for 3,000 sf and your house is 3,000 sf. It’s still too much for a stove that’s in a basement. Are you saying it won’t heat the house well?

majority of basements are not insulated that well,so you have to get it heated to a point were it starts to release the heat.just above stove will warm quickly, but the rest will take awhile.

Reactions: Itslay90
So what is going on in the basement that you need to put the woodstove down there?

Conventional wisdom, with which I agree, is to put the stove, any stove, in the room where you spend the most time, and on the floor level where you (and your family) spend the most time.

If you got a home theater and a billiard room and a home gym down there, and your family spends time down there, sure; put the woodstove down there too.

But if you and your family spend most of your time on the floor level above the basement, your wood stove should be upstairs there with you.
This was my question as well. If the basement is a living area then I understand the need for heat there. Things to think about is how would you get wood downstairs as well? Not saying it’s impossible but unless you have bulkhead doors to walk down into the basement, then it’s constructing a temp slide of plywood or something via a basement window.

If you have seasoned wood of sugar maple, shag bark hickory, etc. you can fill a stove and there will likely be coals in the morning. Always that way for me as long as you turn the air all the way down or close to it. For simplicity, I would look at the Jotul F55.

Oh and if you can, get a whole house backup generator. We had similar issues when we lived there and power would go out, it sucks. We lived on Loch Garry road when the huge ice storm of ‘91 or ‘92 rolled through and we only had the woodstove to heat and melt water on for 5 weeks! I have since had backup generators and it’s great to hear it kick in when the power goes out.

majority of basements are not insulated that well,so you have to get it heated to a point were it starts to release the heat.just above stove will warm quickly, but the rest will take awhile.
I just think a lot of people should have wood burning stoves in the basement. Because mostly every house has pipes in the bad that can freeze

I just think a lot of people should have wood burning stoves in the basement. Because mostly every house has pipes in the bad that can freeze
I like heating from the basement and ours is living space so it needs heated as well. But in order for it to work well the basement needs to be well insulated. If it's not you can loose as much as 1/3 of your btus through the walls. Meaning that stove rated to 3000 sq ft can now only do 2000. Also mine is a walk out basement so getting wood in isn't an issue

I like heating from the basement and ours is living space so it needs heated as well. But in order for it to work well the basement needs to be well insulated. If it's not you can loose as much as 1/3 of your btus through the walls. Meaning that stove rated to 3000 sq ft can now only do 2000. Also mine is a walk out basement so getting wood in isn't an issue
Yeah I understand that.. I’m going to test my stove this year, and see how it goes, and I keep y’all posted. Do you think It’s accurate when a wood stove company, says that something can be heated up to.. I heard those are in a control space, and not real world testing..

Yeah I understand that.. I’m going to test my stove this year, and see how it goes, and I keep y’all posted. Do you think It’s accurate when a wood stove company, says that something can be heated up to.. I heard those are in a control space, and not real world testing..
Yes it's accurate. That stove can heat up to that square footage. But that doesn't mean it will heat your square footage even if it's less than the stated one. There are to many variables involved.

In my case, the basement is consistently worked on for insulation and it has gotten a lot better, still work to do of course, it is a basement with an outdoor entrance at the end of the L shape structure with wood stockpiled on both sides safe from weather. Basement will be recreational space in the future but not yet so for the forseable future everything happens upstairs. I will be looking at backup generators and such down the road but especially for this winter looking for a beast wood stove to heat as much of the upstairs as possible. Since it will be really close to the stairs which we will open up, and make floor vents at the extremeties of the house for the cold air to drop. Only thing will be left, is to optimize the air circulation upstairs, a lot of doors already have a kind of hole above it aprox 2 by 4 feet wide, they were planned as having decorative glass in them but might have to kind of leave them open for the air circulation.

Right now, I am looking at F55 v2 as a safe ish option other than not being sure it will actually heat the whole place up, but I am curious of the Summit LE since its firebox is bigger and i think its full iron cast? instead of the steel box with iron cast exterior like F55.

The Summit is all steel stove. Do you have a Lopi dealer? The Liberty has a large 3.5 cut ft firebox. Another big stove is the Woodstock Ideal Steel.

I don’t have those dealers next to me,
I am not sure he is responding to you. He is likely responded to the thread owner, @Centamos. Perhaps @Itslay90 you should open your own thread? Unless somehow you are one in the same with two user names although from different places.

Right now, I am looking at F55 v2 as a safe ish option other than not being sure it will actually heat the whole place up, but I am curious of the Summit LE since its firebox is bigger and i think its full iron cast? instead of the steel box with iron cast exterior like F55.
The F55 and the Summit fireboxes are approximately the same size. The Summit is a steel stove with a steel jacket. The Alderlea T6 has the Summit's steel firebox wrapped in a cast iron jacket.

Reactions: GrammyPammy
After much thought, I think we might have to open the door to wood furnaces, from what I can find it would run about 8 kwh per 24h roughly on electricity for the fans and some are useful still without electricity in an emergency. Any suggestions of models? I had a look at something like heatmax and heatpro, but its drolet.

A side note is wood boiler would probably be ideal but we don't have the infrastructure inside the house to distribute the heat from the water and that would probably be a decently high extra costs to buy.

Last edited:
After much thought, I think we might have to open the door to wood furnaces, from what I can find it would run about 8 kwh per 24h roughly on electricity for the fans and some are useful still without electricity in an emergency. Any suggestions of models? I had a look at something like heatmax and heatpro, but its drolet.

A side note is wood boiler would probably be ideal but we don't have the infrastructure inside the house to distribute the heat from the water and that would probably be a decently high extra costs to buy.
The Lampa Kuuma is the cream of the crop and tax credit eligible. Start a new thread on the topic in the boiler room for some good guidance and reports from others with these furnaces. There's a Tundra & Heatmax guide right at the top of the page.