New Montpelier issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joetomass

Jan 4, 2016
Philly
hi I'm new to forms. I just installed a new vc Montpelier. Love the look of the stove, firebox little small for med. insert but... The issues Im having is I seem to have an extremely high wood consumption. I have to reload every 2-3 hrs. ( with air control fully closed). My overnight burns horrible. I load it at 11pm-midnight and by 6:30am it is out almost completely. I need to do a full relight in the morning. Tried checking for air leaks around the door with a match an smoke but nothing found. Not shore if that's the way it is or do I have an problem. Also doesn't seem to heat house as good I a was lead to believe. The door also darkens very fast an will not burn off at all even with the air door wide open. Little history on everything, had a free standing stove before installing the vc an didn't have any issues except that old stove was to small. Chimney liner is the same I just cleaned it before installing, any help would be great
Thanks

hi I'm new to forms. I just installed a new vc Montpelier. Love the look of the stove, firebox little small for med. insert but... The issues Im having is I seem to have an extremely high wood consumption. I have to reload every 2-3 hrs. ( with air control fully closed). My overnight burns horrible. I load it at 11pm-midnight and by 6:30am it is out almost completely. I need to do a full relight in the morning. Tried checking for air leaks around the door with a match an smoke but nothing found. Not shore if that's the way it is or do I have an problem. Also doesn't seem to heat house as good I a was lead to believe. The door also darkens very fast an will not burn off at all even with the air door wide open. Little history on everything, had a free standing stove before installing the vc an didn't have any issues except that old stove was to small. Chimney liner is the same I just cleaned it before installing, any help would be great
Thanks
I just got the same insert 2 weeks ago. First time burning with wood so I'm a newbie.I also love the look of the Vc.I agree that glass gets dirty quickly but it seems to have a nice burn and gives off some good heat.The manual says that it would heat 1500 ft but I use it as secondary heat.I really enjoy using it but can't compare with other inserts.

Dirty glass is usually less than optimal wood the first year, and not getting the stove hot in the first place (usually). I also found that my stove burns best with smaller splits.

Your overnight sounds about right.
I'm burning mixed hardwoods. For the overnight load, I'll rake the coals forward, then pack the stove fairly tight- largest splits to the rear. Usually some kindling to help get it burning well. That's around 10pm. 6am and the fan is still running and I probably have coals for a reload.

There's only so much we can do with 1.5 cu' firebox, but it's cooking me out my living room/ 22• outside.

Btw- pick up an IR thermometer. Shoot the top of the door. A hot burn is pushing 400, but 325-350 is cruising.

Reactions: SolarBrian
I have the same stove, 3rd season using the Montpelier. I was thinking the same thing tonight about wood consumption. Loaded at 6 tonight and by 8:30 to 9, fire was almost out, only red coals, but still heating. I had the stove up to 425-450 on the magnetic thermometer placed on front top of door, and started shutting down slowly when it reached 300F. Today in MA was a cold day, highs in mid 20's, so not sure if the cold has any effect on wood consumption. But I have noticed this season using more wood. I'm wondering if drier wood is the cause, and having a good draft. My glass is mostly clean, except for a small area on the hinge side of the door.

MCD

I have the same stove, 3rd season using the Montpelier. I was thinking the same thing tonight about wood consumption. Loaded at 6 tonight and by 8:30 to 9, fire was almost out, only red coals, but still heating. I had the stove up to 425-450 on the magnetic thermometer placed on front top of door, and started shutting down slowly when it reached 300F. Today in MA was a cold day, highs in mid 20's, so not sure if the cold has any effect on wood consumption. But I have noticed this season using more wood. I'm wondering if drier wood is the cause, and having a good draft. My glass is mostly clean, except for a small area on the hinge side of the door.

MCD

Thanks for the quick posts, I do check temp with ir temp. Gun. Average is about 280 but if I keep the air control at 1/4 it will go 300-325 I have trouble getting it any higher. My wood I'm burning is red oak an I believe ash, I split an stack all my own wood an it is at 20% moisture content. So I think the wood should be good.(I hope) I always had free standing stoves so this is my first insert, an my last stove was smaller an didn't have blowers an seem to put out same heat an used a lot less wood. I'm in philly area an we are having a very mild winter so the stove is not running as much as I want it to but I already went threw almost 1.50 cords since starting using since mid October.but havent had to use it very often. An fod01 My overnight fires go just about out completely in 6 hr or so( no fan, an very few coals ). So you seem to be getting alittle longer overnight then I am

D
Thanks
Dirty glass was an issue I had until I addressed a couple of practices...
1. Dry wood. This is essential for a clear glass fire. I thought my wood was good enough but now in my third season I have finally realized that there is no compromise in moisture content. I also use envi blocks mixed in with my fires. This raises the temperature and burns super clean.] DSCN8037.JPG
2. Tighten the door handle. For this stove to work right make sure the door closes tight. When cool see if you can pull a dollar bill through the seals. It should be very tight.
2a. Replace the seal. I have not had to do this yet but if you cannot fix a leak the seal should resolve that problem.
3. Clean the glass with Rutland Creme glass cleaner. This product polishes the glass and is crazy easy to use. My glass looks optically perfect when I use this stuff.

As for burn times the stove likes to run hot and be tightly packed. I get overnight burns that produce heat. By morning I have plenty of hot coals for the next load.

Finally, this is an insert and a mid size unit. Output improves greatly with a hotter fire(I use Envi blocks on super cold or windy nights).

I know these are typical suggestions but they certainly did the trick for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SolarBrian
Status
Not open for further replies.