New Osburn 2200 on it's way...some DIY planning ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
I did it. I just ordered an Osburn 2200 insert from Dynamitebuys. I'm very pleased with the price of $1700 without the faceplate (more on that later) and looking forward to a cozy winter. After I called a chimney guy about adding a liner and was given the standard rate of $2300(!!!) I decided to do it myself. After lots of research on this site, I don't have a problem with any of the work just a few questions about my install and a few gaps in my knowledge. Here's my deal. Let me know what you think.

1) Cap - At the top will be a terra cotta cap, sealed and attached to the existing 8x13 clay liner.

2) Sweep - We've had fewer than 10 fires since the clay chimney was last swept. Should it be swept again before the install?

3) SS Liner - I'll be dropping a 6" 316 SS flex liner insulated the full length of ~25'. The inside of the existing clay liner measures ~7.25" wide. Will the 6" with .5" blanket insulation fit easily enough? Any experience with this? Should I ovalize the liner a bit for easier installation?

4) Existing Damper - The liner will drop into the fireplace after passing through the existing castiron damper that's built into the masonry of the firebox. I could cut it a bit to let the liner through but would rather keep it intact and not damage any of the infrastructure. I'm planning to ovalize the liner to get it through the damper opening of 4.5" wide. Can anyone see any serious concerns?

5) Blockoff Plate - Leaving the existing damper in place gives the perfect area to mount the blockoff plate. I understand that this is important but can some tell me, or point me to an old post, that explains exactly why the cavity between the cap and firebox really needs to be sealed?

6) Liner to Stove - After I get the liner through the existing damper, there a 5" offset where it enters the firebox to the opening on the insert that should be easy to achieve with the flex liner in the 16" worth of rise in the space. This would make the full length, from insert to cap, SS liner (plus appliance connector). Is there any concern with that? Should rigid pipe be used in the firebox? And, should the pipe in the firebox be insulated as well or is OK to leave that 16" worth of rise exposed?

7) Faceplate - The fireplace opening is 34.5" wide by 31" high at the peak of the arch shown in the pics. None of the faceplates are wide enough for the area. Further, the faceplate for the 2200 is designed with a certain angle around the outside square of the plate that would not be terribly good looking if trimmed to the arch I have. Therefore, I was going to build one or have something fabricated. Is it important that the faceplate be a solid sheet and sealed? What if I design something with decorative perforations using this: http://www.decorativeiron.com/produ...=subcategory&category_id=13&subcategory_id=83 ? Any thoughts on copper for the faceplate? Anyone know of a fabricator that has done something for the 2200?

8) Hearth.com - This site rocks. The expertise and knowledge I've gained has been soooo valuable. I'm sure advertisers do well here and more than pay the bills but, why isn't there a Paypal donation button on the homepage? I'd be more than happy to support the site with a few bucks in return for the education I've received.

Attachments

• DSC_2090_small.jpg
    DSC_2090_small.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_2091_small.jpg
    DSC_2091_small.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_2092_small.jpg
    DSC_2092_small.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_2099_small.jpg
    DSC_2099_small.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 331
Congratulations and welcome cygnus.
1) Will it have a cap to keep the rain out?
2) Yes, sweep it again. You want to be absolutely sure there are no deposits in the chimney.
3) It won't hurt to ovalize it slightly for an easier pull
4) Is the damper pivot pin captive in the damper throat collar casting? If not, I would remove the damper entirely.
5) The block off plate will be a win-win deal here. There is nothing to lose but the heat that won't be heading outdoors.
6) Take the insulated liner right down to the stove adapter connection
7) Agreed, it would be a shame to cover up the nicely arched stonework. Maybe run it without the surround? You have a sealed system so the faceplate does not have to be sealed.

I really like the stonework on and around the hearth.

Hi there and congrats on your purchase. I envy you, my fireplace is not big enough for the 2200. I am getting an 1800.

I also work for Osburn so I will also be getting a good deal! :)

For the surround, you may want to go to your local metal fabricator and provide the dimension and they can make something at a reasonable price. You can use stove paint for the sheet metal. The 2200 has such a large viewing area and such a gorgeous fire that I personally would go all black so as not to distract from the fire itself. Besides you have a nice masonry fireplace in the first place.

Once you are done, why not take a video of the fire burning an posting it on youtube. That way we can all sit around the laptop and enjoy the company & fire!

Thanks for the helpful info!

1) Yes, there will be a cap.

4) and, the damper in the pic will be removed but that still leaves the 4.5" opening. Planning to 'squish' through it.

7) I wasn't sure if the insert could even be run without the surround. I may go that route. Otherwise, I'll resort to some 'fancy' black steelwork. That will be the last item.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post the results...if I don't need some help sooner ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.