New outdoor lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm adding 3 receptacles and 2 outdoor yard lights to my deck. I'm OK on the receptacles, but my question is the new lights.

OK, I have 1 existing lamp post controlled by a mechanical timer, I have good access at the splice before it goes into the ground I the basement/crawl space.

If I splice my new connection there, will it also be controlled by the same timer?

Also, once I run to the first new light, can I piggy back off that to run to my second light; or will I need 2 runs?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yup, as long as you dont exceed the circuit amperage rating you are good to go with one run. No need for two runs. Remember the white neutral and the bare copper ground are never switched they run all the way back to the main panel, the black hot is the switched side which eventually ties into a breaker on the panel. The timer is on the black hot line so anything fed by it will be switched by the timer. Its likely that since these are outdoor circuits that are fed by a GFCI breaker or outlet. Its a good idea to upgrade the circuit to GFCI if it isnt already. If you want to get fancy you can get wifi switched fixtures and outlets so you can turn them on and off remotely (as long as the timer is left on or taken out of the circuit).

Yup, as long as you dont exceed the circuit amperage rating you are good to go with one run. No need for two runs. Remember the white neutral and the bare copper ground are never switched they run all the way back to the main panel, the black hot is the switched side which eventually ties into a breaker on the panel. The timer is on the black hot line so anything fed by it will be switched by the timer. Its likely that since these are outdoor circuits that are fed by a GFCI breaker or outlet. Its a good idea to upgrade the circuit to GFCI if it isnt already. If you want to get fancy you can get wifi switched fixtures and outlets so you can turn them on and off remotely (as long as the timer is left on or taken out of the circuit).
Thanks, appreciate it. The run back from the existing lamp post goes into a box with a tangle of wires. There is a switch before the tork timer.

4a261b8013ccdb5a6f0e1937b6d19b31.jpg

]I think I'm gonna go ahead and replace this old school torn with an astronomical timer, I've recently done this at our other house with good results.

Last edited:
Those darn things seem to run forever as long as they dont get doused underwater and even then they usually can be dried out. Plenty of digital timers out there or even wireless enabled devices. I use an old X-10 system so I can control my outdoor lights from around the house (or from a remote).

Those darn things seem to run forever as long as they dont get doused underwater and even then they usually can be dried out. Plenty of digital timers out there or even wireless enabled devices. I use an old X-10 system so I can control my outdoor lights from around the house (or from a remote).
We only have internet 7 months per year. Too bad I just replaced it 2-3 years ago, arrrgh!