New Owner Question about Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJPellet

Minister of Fire
Sep 6, 2011
Western NY
Hello Everyone,
In February I bought a Harman P43 and began my pellet stove journey. It's been a great experience so far and I am slowly picking up the proper operating skills. At the end of May I cleaned out the stove and it's been sitting since then. I only did what the Owner's Manual said to do at the end of the season and also wasn't told anything different by the dealer. When I opened the stove up last week I noticed a lot of rust on the inside. I immediately went online and found this great forum. Since last week I have been reading past posts and discovered that I should have plugged the vents, used a dessicant inside the stove for the summer, and sprayed the inside with Pam or something similar. I only wish I would have known this three months ago. Now my question is: Will the rust burn off this season or do I need to remove it somehow? Thanks for your help. I love the stove and have been depressed after seeing the rust all over the inside.

It will burn off, don't worry about it, no matter what I'm sure you'll hear shortly from some. Believe me, there are many things waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more worthy of depression.

A quick coat of Pam cooking spray will be fine. It and the rust will burn off during the heating season. I coat with Pam, but this year, I did a Full Paint job on the inside of the stove. Rust will eventually eat from the inside out. It may take 20 years, but I will do everything in my Power to protect my investment. So one day when I sell it, the next owner gets many years of enjoyment.

You have came to the right place as far as info goes. Use the "Search" option at the top. Put in "Spring Cleaning" , "Harman P-43", "Cleaning Stove", "Leafblower trick", Etc. Many good threads that have been gone over. The thread on the bottom of your page about the Reburbishing Pellet Stove is a Good one. Look at the bottom of this page

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about this last month. And guess what....you both were absolutely correct! After a few burns I cleaned the stove this morning and the rust is either gone or flaking off so easily...no wire brushing required! I plan on cleaning the stove every Saturday morning this season. I don't care what the Harman owner's manual says about cleaning after every ton. These stoves need more maintenance than that IMO. Thank You guys.

I am also in my second season of pellet burning and I had rust also. But, I had rust spots on the outside. Dealer said it's normal, as long as it's not excessive, whatever that means. I sanded the spots and used high temp paint. House stank for a while, but the stove looks great. Also did the inside. Any ideas why the outside of the stove would have rust spot?

I also had rust on outside, right on top for some reason. Didn't have enough on the inside to worry about, but after next spring cleaning will do what many here do and spray it down with Pam cooking spray and may put a dessicant pack or two in it.

mikhen said:
I am also in my second season of pellet burning and I had rust also. But, I had rust spots on the outside. Dealer said it's normal, as long as it's not excessive, whatever that means. I sanded the spots and used high temp paint. House stank for a while, but the stove looks great. Also did the inside. Any ideas why the outside of the stove would have rust spot?

Your stove will rust because of moisture. Period.. This moisture can come in any form. Mainly due to the humidity in the air. So this brings me to 3 questions...
1. Is your stove in your basement? And if so do you run a Humidifier?
2. If upstairs, do you have Central Air Conditiining? (Or a window unit?)
3. This pertains to the inside of the stove. Do you plug your OAK and exhaust in the off season? Also put a Damp Rid in the Ash pan and/or Hopper.

1 last question. Do you have a Kettle or Steamer on your stove? These only allow the accidental water spill . Pellets stoves dont get truly hot enough to do any good. Even if they did. The kettles and steamers dont put out enough moisture to do any good. You need a lot more than the couple quarts it will evaporate. My whole house unit does between 8-10 Gallons a day, to stay in the 45%-65% humidity range.

DexterDay said:
mikhen said:

Your stove will rust because of moisture. Period.. This moisture can come in any form. Mainly due to the humidity in the air. So this brings me to 3 questions...
1. Is your stove in your basement? And if so do you run a Humidifier?first floor
2. If upstairs, do you have Central Air Conditiining? (Or a window unit?)central air
3. This pertains to the inside of the stove. Do you plug your OAK and exhaust in the off season? Also put a Damp Rid in the Ash pan and/or Hopper.plugged

1 last question. Do you have a Kettle or Steamer on your stove? These only allow the accidental water spill . Pellets stoves dont get truly hot enough to do any good. Even if they did. The kettles and steamers dont put out enough moisture to do any good. You need a lot more than the couple quarts it will evaporate. My whole house unit does between 8-10 Gallons a day, to stay in the 45%-65% humidity range.no kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.