New Pellet Stove with Strange Window Dirt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgewood

Nov 15, 2015
New York
I am new to pellet stove inserts. I know little to nothing other than what I read in my instruction booklet. I have a Harmon P35i stove and I started it for the first time yesterday and have been running it for 24 hours. I have tried various temperatures and feed rates and blower intensities to get a feel for what setting is right for our space. I am not using the room temp mode. I was able to do the pot scraping and ash scraping into ash tray today when reloading a new bag of pellets. I have high quality pellets.

My problem is the glass looks weird. It looks like air is getting in through the seal? I am not sure what is wrong with it. Please look at the attached picture and let me know what you think it is and how to fix it. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 394
I am new to pellet stove inserts. I know little to nothing other than what I read in my instruction booklet. I have a Harmon P35i stove and I started it for the first time yesterday and have been running it for 24 hours. I have tried various temperatures and feed rates and blower intensities to get a feel for what setting is right for our space. I am not using the room temp mode. I was able to do the pot scraping and ash scraping into ash tray today when reloading a new bag of pellets. I have high quality pellets.

My problem is the glass looks weird. It looks like air is getting in through the seal? I am not sure what is wrong with it. Please look at the attached picture and let me know what you think it is and how to fix it. Thank you.

That looks typical. I shutdown after about 2 weeks to clean the glass.

Normal.

Air is let in on purpose to help keep the glass glass clean.

Anytime you scrape the pot, give the glass a wipe with a wet paper towel

Looks normal!

Tom

Most of that type of light build up happens on start up/shutdown. Shouldn't be happening during continuous operation as long as you have enough draft.

Most of that type of light build up happens on start up/shutdown. Shouldn't be happening during continuous operation as long as you have enough draft.
It does stay there the whole time the stove is on. What do you mean by draft? How do I adjust that?

Yes, it will stay there once the smoke creates the soot on the glass until cleaned.

you guys get soot buildup at the bottom of your glass like that??!! That does not look normal to me.

you guys get soot buildup at the bottom of your glass like that??!! That does not look normal to me.
Stoves have different quirks and that's one for Harman. Bixby is on the top. Fill in your signature so we know what your burning with please.

Never heard it called window dirt. That's a good one. I like it. My P68 glass will fog up with the "window dirt" in a short time of burning and it is very normal.

When you do clean it be sure the glass is not hot if you use a cleaner. Otherwise if it bothers you then you could just wipe it while hot daily with a soft dry cloth. That takes a lot of it off immediately. Put something down because the mess will fall to the floor also.

My OLD stove does not have air wash so it gets covered in " WINDOW DIRT '
very quickly wish mine looked like that after 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.