New PelPro TSC90 stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHsinglemom

Dec 28, 2022
New Hampshire
I can't get my three week old stove to run after a storm knocked out the power. The stove was on and running when I lost power. I unplugged the stove when that happened. Left it off while power was off and used opportunity to completely clean everything: burn pot, ash pots, baffles, exhaust fan, and even swept exhaust piping/venting including outside clean out (horizontally vented). When power was finally restored I plugged it in and turned it on. I noticed it didn't feed any pellets, but igniter did glow orange (but with nothing to light, fire didn't start). I got ignition error code. Tried again, same thing. Followed trouble shooting guide to run continuity test on hopper lid switch. It was fine. Also ran continuity test on vacuum switch. Also fine. Blew through hose - no blockage. Completely emptied hopper and vacuumed clean. Auger moves and does not appear jammed. Reset the snap disc switch (got quite an electrical shock). Disconnected then reconnected ALL electrical connections. Tried to prime stove, but after a few seconds it shut itself off without feeding any pellets. I've run out of things to try. I'm leaning towards either a control board issue or an auger motor issue. Does anyone have any other ideas? My kids and I are freezing. Nobody who repairs these things has any appointments for weeks. If anyone has any suggestions, please, please help. Thanks.

I have the same stove, so I am familiar with the startup procedure.
The first step of startup is that the auger feeds pellets into the burnpot, while the ignitor is energized by the control board. Since you had mentioned that all electrical connections were checked, try re-checking the auger connections and make sure they are seated properly. The system is displaying a failed ignition- where it expects that heat be generated at this point by the burnpot contents on fire, producing heat, which then calls the fans to energize.
Another thing is if the stove was in an “uncontrolled” shutdown due to the power outage when running, maybe something is causing the system to appear that a safety circuit is preventing the auger from running. Since the igniter is working, I assume that you have power, and that the control board is allowing the start to occur.
The stove model is decent - but it is a possibility that the power failure was a spike, and that it caused more damage.
Once it is all proven to run again properly, purchase a surge protector at minimum, and plug the stove into that, then it is semi protected by surges and spikes.

Reactions: VintageGal
I would dump a handful of pellets in the burn pot and light with the igniter, or manual lighter. See if the fans turn on.
I tried that this morning. While the exhaust motor runs (I left the side panel off and can see it spinning), the fire doesn't catch. All I got was a bunch of smoke. Seems to me there isn't enough air to get it started. Should the convection blower be running? It's not. Also, auger still not feeding pellets.

I have the same stove, so I am familiar with the startup procedure.
The first step of startup is that the auger feeds pellets into the burnpot, while the ignitor is energized by the control board. Since you had mentioned that all electrical connections were checked, try re-checking the auger connections and make sure they are seated properly. The system is displaying a failed ignition- where it expects that heat be generated at this point by the burnpot contents on fire, producing heat, which then calls the fans to energize.
Another thing is if the stove was in an “uncontrolled” shutdown due to the power outage when running, maybe something is causing the system to appear that a safety circuit is preventing the auger from running. Since the igniter is working, I assume that you have power, and that the control board is allowing the start to occur.
The stove model is decent - but it is a possibility that the power failure was a spike, and that it caused more damage.
Once it is all proven to run again properly, purchase a surge protector at minimum, and plug the stove into that, then it is semi protected by surges and spikes.
I actually did have it plugged into a surge protector. That's why I am surprised that it doesn't run. Although I know it's minimal protection at best.

Since the stove wasn't able to vent either heat or smoke when the power went out, I have to imagine that caused some issues. Just not sure what. Pelpro customer service has been sympathetic but not terribly helpful with troubleshooting.

I actually did have it plugged into a surge protector. That's why I am surprised that it doesn't run. Although I know it's minimal protection at best.

Since the stove wasn't able to vent either heat or smoke when the power went out, I have to imagine that caused some issues. Just not sure what. Pelpro customer service has been sympathetic but not terribly helpful with troubleshooting.
I would hope that PP design stoves with that condition in mind. I would hope that components would be able to withstand both temperature and smoke for several minutes during an uncontrolled shutdown.

Someone posted a service manual for the 130’s a couple of weeks ago. Reading that document further it shows all of the sequence steps in order. I suggest that you take a look. The 90 is more a digital interface, no analog knobs. Sequence of operation I am sure are similar.
Good luck - they are not that complicated, the problem is the control board is pre-programmmed, and does not have any user manual mode available for jog blowers/auger functionality.

The manual is attached. Page 14 is where you want to start.

Attachments

• PP130ServiceMAnual.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 180
Was researching and saw this thread. Little late to respond but I had the same problem twice. It’s the control board. On our third one only after 10 months of use. $400 each time. Let me know what you found out with your stove.

Was researching and saw this thread. Little late to respond but I had the same problem twice. It’s the control board. On our third one only after 10 months of use. $400 each time. Let me know what you found out with your stove.
Why isn't this covered by warranty?

Reactions: johneh
Bummer. Is your power rural, with outages and spikes? If so, a quality line conditioner or a good UPS would protect the circuitry. Have you looked into having the board repaired instead of replaced?

FWIW, We had a Quad 1200i that lost its circuit board due to a summertime power spike. I had to protect it and always unplugged it at the end of the season after that.

Yes, so are we. I put a UPS on ours so that it only saw filtered power. It was an APC or Cyberpower of about 900w IIRC or what Costco had on sale. This was several years ago. Ask here what people are currently using.

Reactions: VintageGal
Yup, rural with outages . Had a surge protector but didn’t work. Just ordered another one to try. Don’t know what is good for the money.
I paid $48 with free shipping for this one. I've had a dozen power outages this winter and it has worked just fine. Tripp Lite came highly recommended here at the board.

Tripp Lite IBAR2-6D Isobar 2 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal, Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 25,000 Insurance​

I paid $48 with free shipping for this one. I've had a dozen power outages this winter and it has worked just fine. Tripp Lite came highly recommended here at the board.

Tripp Lite IBAR2-6D Isobar 2 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal, Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 25,000 Insurance​

I just got two of these to try
1674426912221.png